1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mussoorie Or Shimla

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Aayush, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Aayush

Aayush New Member

Alright, so now we have one more option as suggested by one of my friends, this is our first trip to any hill station here and the guy who suggested Mussorie is also no help because he is also new in Delhi.

We want to consider Mussorie too, because it is not very far from Delhi and here I want to know, which is more fun? Which hill station is more beautiful and worth going in our opinion?

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

I personally like Shimla better due to a more welcoming nature of the locals and also the crowd is better. Shimla is also a lot bigger then Mussorie and has a lot more hotels and resorts to choose from which means you would land a better deal in Shimla even in peak season.

Another good reason to go to Shimla is that in winters you get snow there but in Mussorie you wont find snow even in winters with an exception of like once in a decade and that too a tiny bit that melts away within hours.

Mussorie is ofcourse closer to Delhi but it is easier to get to Shimla due to the GT road and then Chandigarh to Shimla route is also a lot more improved.

I would suggest pick Shimla this time and then may be Mussorie next time :) They are both good in their own ways.

3. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

It is almost as cold in Delhi as in Shimla and Mussoorie right now and traveling in such foggy conditions is really not advisable. If you are asking for later on in Summers then I would go for Shimla as opposed to Mussorie purely because there is a better choice of accommodation and there is a lot more to do in Shimla as compared to Mussorie.

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Shimla is a very crowded place now and Mussoorie is slowly but surely getting there and it will one day. I have seen the Shimla of 1995-96 and then a number of times very recently and same with Mussorie and I liked Mussorie then and I like Mussorie now.

Mussorie is still one place where you can find some quite areas to stay and if you travel a few kilometres further then you would love it even more but Shimla is all concrete now and very polluted.

• Altitude of Shimla : 2205 m
    • Altitude of Mussoorie : 2006 m

Going by the altitude there is hardly any difference but if you want to get into technical details then yes Shimla would be a fraction of a degree colder as compared to Mussoorie if altitude is the only deciding factor with all other things being the same.

Another major difference is that Shimla hotels are a lot more costlier then Mussoorie hotels of similar quality. If you are someone who goes to a hill station every 2-3 months then get a feel of both the places so you know what the difference is. Don't get me wrong, even Shimla has some very good areas but you have to be a local to know where to go.

You could also consider Nainital if you like. Naini lake at Nainital is the center of most of activity that goes on there and plenty of stuff to see and do besides going for a boat ride.

Admin and Ashwin Mahesh like this.
  5. Shaila

Shaila New Member

Both Shimla and Mussoorie are different kind of places and have different crowds and a different atmosphere, and you will see that once you have been to both of the places you will see how different they are. As both places are recommended choose the location which appeals to you most and then visit the other one next time.

6. Kakkar

Kakkar New Member

7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Instead of trying to find out which is better among Shimla and Mussoorie I would suggest finding a hotel at Dhanaulti if you are closer to Mussoorie and at Chail if Shimla is easier to get to from where you live. Shimla offers a wider choice when it comes to restaurants and hotels as compared to Mussoorie as Shimla is a much larger town. Dhanaulti is about half an hours drive from Mussoorie and Chail is at a distance of 45Kms from Shimla but if you are coming from Chandigarh, you will get to Chail in lesser time as compared to Shimla.

Both Chail and Dhanaulti are relatively easy to get to, and you won't find too many people there as you would at Shimla and Mussoorie.

8. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

Shimla is a much more cosmopolitan city compared to Mussoorie, and looking at the OPs original intention to have fun at a hill station, it should be the preferred option. In Shimla during winter a lot of outdoor activities can be planned like skiing etc., Mussoorie is not too far behind but the options are limited.

9. nemanjanp

nemanjanp New Member

If I was in your place I would probably choose Mussoorie. It has a great view and overall so much things to visit! Famous Kempty falls (fun fact: they were actually developed as a tourist destination by John Mekinan, who was a British officer back in 1835.), If you are interested in more waterfalls you should also check Bhatta Falls who are obviously near Bhatta village, it's also a great place to rest!

You should also most definitely check out Sir George Everest's house, it's a place where you can see the remains of the building and laboratory of Sir George Everest. There is so much stuff to do in Mussoorie.

10. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

You also have an option to go from Mussoorie to Shimla via Paonta sahib and Nahan to experience both the places. Distance between Mussoorie and Shimla is just 250Km.

11. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

All I know is a friend of mine visited Shimla and really enjoyed her experience. She said it was crowded, though, but still a great location to visit. She recommends taking some snacks so you don't get too hungry. Then, afterwards, you can have a meal at one of the local spots.

12. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hmmm... This is a tough one. Let's highlight the pros about each place first.

Mussoorie:

• The smaller location
    • Peaceful, quiet and serene
    • Great for spiritual healing
    • Scenic views of the Himalayas
    Shimla:
    • The tourist spot
    • Lots of things to do
    • Gorgeous ancient houses
    For me, Mussoorie wins although both places are kind of tourist spots right now. But since Mussoorie offers amazing views of the Himalayas, I chose it. Plus, it is generally a more calm and relaxed environment as compared to Shimla.

I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.
  13. Maja

Maja Member

I don't know anything about Mussoorie but from what I've read from here, it would seem like a great place to go. I got to know about Shimla because of the movie 3 idiots which starred Aamir Khan. From what I've seen in the movie, it's a really beautiful place, but kind of far from the capital. But with the scenery while driving, and the destination, I guess the long drive is worth it.

14. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Shimla and Mussoorie are not that far apart if you are driving. Total distance is less than 290KM and the roads are pretty good. It should not take more than 6 hours to get from Shimla to Mussoorie and vice versa. If you have the time and money then go for it and stay a few days at both Shimla and Mussoorie.

My personal choice has always been Mussoorie purely because it is closer to Delhi and driving to Mussoorie is a breeze as compared to Shimla where you have to go through GT road then to Chandigarh which again is crowded. Mussoorie on the other hand via Gang neher is a very relaxed drive. Take the Roorkee to Dehradun road that bypasses Haridwar and you will hardly see any traffic.