1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nainital or Mussoorie?

Discussion in 'Uttarakhand' started by PuskarRakesh, Jun 8, 2015.

1. PuskarRakesh

PuskarRakesh New Member

I am planning a 3-4 day trip to a hill station near Delhi and have come down to either Nainital or Mussoorie. I need to know which is the better one out of the two. The plan has been made for the last week of June and out of the two I would like a destination which has good weather, scenery and some good sight seeing places.

2. Chigs

Chigs New Member

Both places are worth visiting, from a drivers point of view Mussoorie is better as the road is good, otherwise both destination have good weather and sight seeing places. If you want you can visit both destinations as it has been done before by travellers, Nainital is only 7 hours away from Mussoorie.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Nainital and Mussoorie are very different places and dont have much in common. I have noticed that Mussoorie is a lot cooler then Nainital in June to an extent that I dont even consider Nainital to be a hill station if weather is the main criteria. Nainital is also a lot more polluted but you will get cheaper accommodation as compared to Mussoorie.

As mentioned by Chigs above it is a lot easier to get to Mussoorie if you are driving yourself.

4. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

The main attraction at Nainital is the lake and I have seen the lake and surrounding areas upclose. I can assure you that raw sewage from lots of hotels and settlements flow right into Naini lake. There is a part of the lake which has gone dry and some builders have built apartment buildings there and also a few hotels. Nainital has gone to the dogs to say the least.

You could go to Mukteshwar which is a whole lot better and very close to Nainital. Mussoorie is better then both any day and the weather is nicer too.

5. PuskarRakesh

PuskarRakesh New Member

Mussoorie does seem a lot better than Nainital, I agree that there is a lot more to do in Mussoorie than Nainital as the only place popular there is the lake. Ooty is better then both Mussoorie and Nainital if you fancy going down South.

What is in Mukteshwar, I have never heard of the place and exactly how far is it from Nainital.

6. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Mukteshwar is about 50Km from Nainital and is at a higher altitude which makes it much colder then Nainital. Mukteshwar has a lot of holiday resorts and on a good day you can see lots of peaks from there and also Nanda Devi which is the second highest peak in India. Mukteshwar also has lots of orchards so if you are there in April-May then you could taste some of the world's best Khurmanis and lots of other fruits.

I personally find Mukteshwar to be a lot better place then Nainital for spending a few days in peace away from the crowds.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Let's highlight the similarities and differences between the two destinations:

Nainital
    • This is a hill station located in the state of Uttarakhand.
    • Located at an elevation of about 2,084 metres above sea level.
    • Major source of income of town is their tourism industry.
    • During the summer months, temperature ranges from 7°C to 27°C.
    • During the winter months, temperature ranges from -3°C to 15°C.
    • Best visited all-year round, except the monsoon seasons.
    • Known for its colonial style of architecture in its structures.
    • The famous Jim Corbett National Park is found here.
    Mussoorie
    • This is a hill station located in the state of Uttarakhand.
    • Located at an elevation of about 1,880 metres above sea level.
    • Major source of income of town is their tourism industry.
    • During the summer months, temperature ranges from 7°C to 25°C.
    • During the winter months, temperature ranges from -2°C to 15°C.
    • Best visited all-year round, except the monsoon seasons.
    • Known for its Buddhist Temples as well as Tibetan Colonies.
    • There's numerous waterfalls that attract tourists to this destination.
    Well, both these destinations have good weather, sceneries and sightseeing places. I'd give you a brief overview of the famous tourist attractions in both:

Tourist Attractions in Nainital
    • The Nainital Lake. You can opt to have a boat ride here or just enjoy the scenery from the lake side.
    • The Cheena Peak. This is the highest peak in Nainital elevated at about 2,615 metres above sea level. You could see the entire valley below from the top which is an amazing view.
    • The PT GB Pant High Altitude Zoo. Located at 2,100 metres above sea level, this contains some endangered species of animals that can only be found in this region like the Snow Leopard and the Himalayan Bear.
    • The Gurney House. This used to be the home of Jim Corbett and you'll find this very near the Nainital Lake.
    • The Eco Cave Gardens. You can find seven interconnected caves with narrowing paths in here. There's also an evening musical fountain show here.
    • The Kilbury Bird Sanctuary. Located about 2,000 metres above sea level, there's about 240 species of birds in here.
    • The Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences. An astronomical centre where you can view celestial bodies using the telescopes here.
    • The Tiffin Top. This is about 2,292 metres above sea level. This also goes by the name Dorothy's Seat because an English painter named Dorothy used to sit here to paint.
    • The Snow View. You can access this by riding a cable car and enjoy the views of the surroundings.
    Now, let's go to Mussoorie.

Tourist Attractions in Mussoorie
    • The Kempty Falls. This is about 1,364 metres above sea level and is a great place to just enjoy the scenery amidst the water and lush greenery.
    • Lal Tibba. The highest peak in Mussoorie at about 2,290 metres above sea level where you can find the holy shrines of Kedarnath and Badrinath as well.
    • Happy Valley. The place where the Tibetans and the Dalai Lama first arrived to when they fled from Lhasa.
    • Camel's Back Road. A great place for trekking and enjoying the views of the city.
    • Gun Hill. This used to be the place where cannons were fired to tell the time.
    • Mussoorie Lake. Enjoy a boat ride here or just enjoy the views of the ducks swimming in it.
    • The Mall. You can find everything here, shops, restaurants and even hotels.
    • Other falls to visit are: Bhatta Falls, Mossy Falls and Jharpani Falls.
    There you go. If you'd like to know more about Buddhism and know about the culture of Tibetans, then Mussoorie is the place for you. If you'd like serenity and tranquility, then Mussoorie is also a great destination for you.

If you'd like more variety in sightseeing activities, then go for Nainital. You can explore nature as well as structures in the Colonial Era. If you like trekking, there's many options in here as well.

I hope this helps!

8. Nisha

Nisha New Member

Nainital, for sure. Best for 3-4 days vacations, shopping and lake views.

9. rootle

rootle Member

I've been to both but quite a while back. I can't remember too many details but from what I remember Nainital seemed like the more interesting place. The lake is in a really scenic location and the town was sort of organized around it. Mussoorie is also pretty great though, this small town called Landour nearby is definitely nicer. I'm not an expert but I would go to Nainital and go the the nearby Jim Corbett National Park while you're in that area.