1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is The First Thing That Comes To Mind When You Hear India?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Shaka, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Shaka

Shaka New Member

There is so much to see and do in India. But what comes to mind when you're planning your vacation. For me it is seeing the snake tamers, looking at scorpions on a stick, or seeing some other insect on a stick. I also think of Buddhism and seeing the temples. Every film you see on TV or in the movies seems to have a guy sitting on the ground and playing a flute. The snake slowly starts to come out of the basket. I want to see this when I'm in India. I have to see for myself if this really happens or it is just in the movies. What about you? Have you ever wanted to see this?

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I would say a few different things come to mind. Good food, bright colors (saris, for instance) and the Taj Mahal. I guess that might be a bit cliché but they are the first things that enter my head when I think India!

I have seen what you refer to about the snake out of the basket - I have no idea if it's true - I always thought it was just a stereotype!

3. SolaNova

SolaNova New Member

I just imagine noise, a lot of noise, people talking among themselves and stall owners are yelling out loud over each other and the traffic trying to get sales. I can also imagine bikes and mopeds carrying more then they really should and young children playing Cricket where ever they can and a plethora of billboard advertising everywhere I go. It might be a stereotypical imagination but thats just what I see.

4. Benti

Benti New Member

I have always thought of India as a vast desert. However, after a few friends visited and couldn't stop talk about it, I looked it up for myself. After I saw all of the beautiful temples and how much more there was to see, I was convinced that I had to take a trip there.

5. tabby

tabby Member

I'm afraid my reply to a question on the first thing that comes to mind when I hear of India is a touristy answer: TAJ MAHAL. How can one not think of this? To this date, I can still remember my high school professor telling us the story of how Shah Jahan had this magnificent structure built to house the tomb of his dearly loved wife Mumtaz Mahal. As a teenager then, it had this romantic appeal to me. So yeah, I hope I will have that opportunity to see the Taj myself. Next to that will have to be Mahatma Gandhi. I'd like to see the places he'd been.

amelia88 likes this.
  6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think that happens to a lot of us - we think of the touristy answer! I think a lot of the time that's pretty natural - when I think of Australia, I think of the Sydney Opera House, when I think of England I think of Big Ben and Stonehenge, when I think of France I think of the Eiffel Tower, when I think of Italy I think of the Leaning Tower of Pisa - so I am sure a lot of us go straight to the Taj Mahal for that very reason when we think of India! It was absolutely one of the first things that I thought of! ;)

7. tabby

tabby Member

Haha, you're quite right. Although I will make an exception when asked about the U.S. If people would go for New York for the Statue of Liberty or for Central Park, I definitely would have a different answer. Of course, I'd still want to see those places and experience Broadway, but if I'm asked what first things come to mind when I hear the US - it will have to be Springfield, Illinois. I don't know if the Lincolns' family cabin is still there or not, but I definitely would want to see it. I'm from the PH, but I truly like Abraham Lincoln! (Of course, I'd have to see next the Lincoln Memorial).

8. Shaka

Shaka New Member

I think more of temples, culture, and religion. I also think about the snakes and the snake trainers. But this isn't really the first thing that comes to mind. I picture the bright lights, people, and festivals. The culture and of course the tigers and wild life.

9. Arianne

Arianne Member

I agree, culture and temples intrigues me and would be my first reason for visiting India. I love to see how other cultures live their day to day lives and see how they celebrate special days. Scenery is always a plus when I vacation. There is nothing like seeing a full landscape of untouched beauty when you come from a city full of people and very little in the way of quiet, clean land.

arthnel likes this.
  10. Kira

Kira Guest

I think of hot desert, and long white clothing that reflects the heat. I also think of the cold and snowy mountains of Nepal. Such vast climate differences intrigue me. And of course I think of the Taj Mahal. I would love to see this structure in person.

11. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of India is a 5 feet 5 inches stature, wearing the tri-color in his head-gear (and heart), carrying the hopes of a billion on his strong shoulders - that's Sachin Tendulkar for you.

May be my thinking is a bit different because I am a sportsman by heart, but for me it has always been this way. Argentina - Diego Maradona, Switzerland - Roger Federar and Germany - Steffi Graf!

Regards,
    Deb

12. Sheba

Sheba New Member

Snakes are just a small part of India. What I think of most is the beautiful culture, people, and places to visit. India is full of history and beautiful temples to visit. I also think of the wonderful smells, noise, and traditional dress people wear. The bright color, smells, and local street markets.

arthnel likes this.
  13. arthnel

arthnel Member

First thing thing that comes to my mind is Diwali - The Festival of Lights. It comes to mind mainly because my first travel to India was with an Indian friend of mine living in the US. We had regular visits to Diwali celebrations in the US before he decided it time to take a trip to his homeland. I also love the music, culture and colors so these also readily come to mind when I think of India.

14. Nita

Nita New Member

I think more about the people, culture, and religious of the India. I also think about the land, mountains, and rivers. There is so much to see in India. It is a fascinating place to visit. India has a lot to offer everyone.

15. arthnel

arthnel Member

While every country has their own culture and colors and smells and noises as laid out by @Sheba, India stands out because they somehow make all these traits seem much more alive than most cultures do. The language itself is so colorful and seems to blend in everything like food, music, dress, temples, landscape and all into that kind of flamboyant, 'musical' way of life.

16. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

Of course India is full of culture and full of places to see and do but the very first thing i think of when I hear India is the Taj mahal. Its seen in many movies and very famous i have seen pictures of it from other family members past visits to india and hope to see it in person one day for myself

17. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I know that I should say culture and history and all of that good stuff, which of course is very important and fascinating to learn about, but when it came to visiting India I could not help but get most excited about the food. I knew going in that it would be a crazy ride full of various spices and different types of meals, and I was certainly impressed with what I saw and what I ate. The sites were good too though.

18. tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful New Member

Strangely enough, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of India is the Cricket! Everyone here is really laid back about the game, but in India it's like a whole other religion! All the people are really passionate about the sport, so I'm thinking to actually go to see a game being played would be quite an experience! I'd like to buy autographed souvenirs when I visit as well - like a bat signed by Mr Tendulkar, for example. I'm also interested to see how they play Backyard Cricket in India and all the different individual funny rules people have developed to suit the terrain and proximity to others, to buildings, etc. Actually, I think I can recall it being referred to as Gully Cricket in India! Some of the rules for this down here may include:
    1. One hand, one bounce
    2. Six and out (you hit it onto someone else's property; you then need to fetch the ball yourself - but it's a great way to meet the neighbours (unless you break their window or car!).
    3. No LBWs
    4. Can't get out on the first ball
    5. Tippi-Go (you are forced to run if you hit the ball)
    6. Magic Wicket Keeper (you can run-out a solo batsman by striking either wicket)

Besides cricket, I think of Bollywood, the Hare Krishna movement, elephants, women in Sari's and a climate that is so hot and humid that it's actually cooler standing outside under a tree than it is inside of a building. And then there is Prime Minister Modi. When he made a short speech in Sydney, thousands from all over the country caught trains, buses and planes just to see him speak! He attracted bigger crowds here than any member of the Royal Family and at a fraction of the price! The man himself isn't as charismatic as President Putin and would not have the financial backing of President Xi Jinping, for example, but what he has done for India on the international stage and how he has stood up to the UN and the West on a number of occasions for the benefit of his people (in fact, all people!) will be fondly remembered for all time.

Finally, I think of the people, their focus on their families, their good, efficient work ethic, their rich culture and lovely accent combined with cute head waggling!:cool::)

Admin and ChaiNashta like this.
  19. swalia

swalia Guest

India has been showed as a country of snake-charmers, superstitions and abject poverty in many Hollywood movies and sadly, even Indian film-makers also portray this side of the country to the West. But India is much beyond that. It is a land of spirituality- of the great mystics and yogis. It is a land of diverse cultures and rich history. It is a land of beautiful temples, exquisite forts and buildings of brilliant architecture. There is definitely much more to see in India than just a snake-charmer!

20. Peter

Peter New Member

I think people really watch too much TV. I guess back in the days Hollywood sold a lot of films using snake charmers. It is an interesting hobby but not one I would travel so far to see. If I do run across a few of them while in India, I'm sure I'll stop and watch.

21. Peter

Peter New Member

I think of the culture, religion, food, beauty, and life in India. I have seen all the movies where they really push snake charmers. I’m sure they have them there.

22. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

When I think of Indian, I think of Indian food. Usually something like butter chicken.

23. Aidan

Aidan New Member

The first thing that comes to my mind when hear India or think about India is beauty. Then I start thinking about food, culture and so many other things.

24. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

When I think about India,I think about Bollywood, Hindu and Buddhist Pilgrimage sites,Indian food (tandori chicken...mmm...yummy), seas (because I live in a landlocked country), deserts (we don't have deserts here), the list can go long. There are many things that I remember about India

25. xTinx

xTinx Member

The first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions India is the Taj Mahal. At other times, it's the Ganga river or Mahatma Gandhi. The first two are famous for their historical and cultural values. Gandhi, on one hand, is an iconic figure in India and throughout the world. You can't forget what he did in the name of freedom and peace.

26. Bayleaf

Bayleaf New Member

That's the first thing that comes to mind for me too, and why not? Your story of how you learned about it is very special and touching, and I can see how it motivates you to visit India.

The next thing that I think about is the traffic. I saw a TV documentary about a British taxi driver who went to India to try the same job. It was really interesting watching him try to cope with the different traffic rules.

27. tabby

tabby Member

Thank you. It is special. My professor then love everything India, so he often regaled us with stories of India.

That TV documentary of a British taxi driver trying it out on Indian streets sounds very interesting and intriguing. Care to share what's the title of that documentary? Sounds like fun to watch.

28. Dina

Dina New Member

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear the name India is the spicy food and the variety of cuisines that are available in a single country. I am a foodie and my eating experiences in India would alone make my trip really worth it.

29. joshkhtan

joshkhtan New Member

Coming from Malaysia, my answer is the food. The people here can't get enough of Indian food. The "Mamaks"- Muslim Indians - are very successful here opening restaurants. Chappatti, Naan, and all the curry with banana leaf rice is AWESOME. If it's this good here, I can only imagine how it is in India...

30. Bayleaf

Bayleaf New Member

Hi. The show is part of a series made by the BBC. Each show is called 'The toughest place to be a ...' and taxi driver is one. It was filmed in Mumbai.

If you look around the 'net you may get lucky and find a video site with it on. If I see one I will send you a link. I watched it a good while ago so can't check my PC history

31. arthnel

arthnel Member

I'm totally in with the people who think of the food too. Nowhere else in world mixes spices as well as Indian dishes. I've had the joy of watching the preparations and then tasting various dishes and the amazement still lingers. Early in my life I only thought Indians were great at curry, but experience has taught me that Indian curry is the least when we taste the range of dishes with varied herbs and spices.

32. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I agree with a lot of the others here. I think of a density of people, a vitality, and certain life and interaction. When I think of other Asian countries, I have a similar thought. These are places where people have lived together in great and teeming cities for thousands of years, and this has created a unique way of life and commerce. As someone who lives in a quiet region with few people, the dichotomy of my existence compared to that chaotic and beautiful interaction stands out in my mind.

33. integrity101

integrity101 Member

While most people I know visualize hot curry and overcrowded cities at the mention of India, I think of the tranquil life in small beautiful villages of Kerala in the south. Rural villages are great places to explore and will often leave you enchanted for life.

34. tabby

tabby Member

You've mentioned Kerala, and of late I've been watching videos of Ravi Zacharias and he often mentions that his father was from that part of India (Kerala). Now, I'm curious about that place and way you described it here just makes me believe that it too is a place that I will come to enjoy. Apart from old ruins, I also like small beautiful villages.