1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

35 hours Layover in Delhi

Discussion in 'North India' started by Kyley, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Kyley

Kyley New Member

I am going to be traveling to Rome in July and on the way have a layover of 35 hours in Delhi. The flight will provide the accommodation but I don't know where it will be. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to go and see some places in Delhi with the time I have, and would like some suggestions.

Please also suggest the best way to travel within Delhi.

2. Pravin

Pravin New Member

There is plenty to see in Delhi, it all depends on your interests. If you could give some more information on what you like or are interested in then suggestions can be given accordingly.

3. Kyley

Kyley New Member

Well I think I should see some famous monuments, and apart from that I think any handicraft places and some local shopping maybe.

Would it be possible to go and see the Taj Mahal? How far is it from Delhi?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

There is plenty to see in Delhi such as Qutab Minar, Lotus Temple, Humayuns Tomb, Red Fort, India Gate amoungst others, but with your limited time you can only see so much.
    For handicraft shopping you can go to Dilli Haat which is opposite INA market and Connaught Place and Janpath where you will find the regular shops as well as a flea market.
    It is possible for you to go and see the Taj Mahal, it is around a 3-4 hours drive from Delhi. You should leave as early as poissble to make most of your time.

5. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

You can only do one of the things either visit places in Delhi or go see the Taj Mahal, doing both will not be possible.

6. Backpacker

Backpacker New Member

Dhruv I think Kyley can do both in the time she has.
    Kyley you can set off for Taj Mahal from Delhi at around 3am. You will reach Agra by 6am or 7am, spend around 1 or 2 hours at the Taj Mahal and can leave Agra by 11am and be back in Delhi by 2pm. After this if you want you can visit a few places of your choice in Delhi.

7. Pravin

Pravin New Member

Sarojini Nagar is also a good place for shopping and eating as well. Places like Janpath and Sarojini Nagar do a lot of bargaining which you need to be careful of as you don't want to get cheated.

8. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

You could spend the evening at Delhi Haat near AIIMS opposite INA market. There have lots of handicraft stalls and foods kiosks from different states in India. Food is very reasonably priced and very good dishes.

Chahal likes this.
  9. Shilpi

Shilpi New Member

Dilli Haat is a must see place, especially for those who want to see handicraft and also who love to taste the food from different parts of India.

10. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Take the delhi tourist bus operated by DTC it would cover major tourist sites, or else get a taxi for one day to do the site seeing..
    In the evening do whateva you want to do ;) going to delhi haat would be great even you could enjoy shopping at INA market ...

11. JaiPatra

JaiPatra New Member

Just read a post about HOHO bus in Delhi, this is something very ideal for you especially with your short stay duration!

12. Pravin

Pravin New Member

There is a DTC bus for sightseeing? Since when?

13. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

14. SharadKal

SharadKal New Member

I would like to recommend you to also go and see Agrasen ki Baoli, which is a step well in Connaught Place.