1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any 'must Sees' Near Assam?

Discussion in 'Assam' started by Chanterelle, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Chanterelle

Chanterelle New Member

Horse riding is a hobby I love but don't have enough time for during my working week,so I was excited to find a dedicated horse riding holiday is on offer. They have two locations, Rajasthan and Assam, and I think Assam sounds better for me. The promise of it being a bit less touristy is a big part of the appeal, but that makes me wonder what else there is to do in the area.

Any definite 'must sees'?

2. CityLites

CityLites New Member

I think Rajasthan might be more scenic. Assam is mostly rainforest, very humid and moist - possibly not great horse riding climate. Rajasthan is much drier, with firmer soil, and it has a lot more of the typical temples you might want to see in the distance as you ride. Assam is going to be tight paths through the jungle, by and large, although the weather is very seasonal.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Assam is probably one of the most developed states in the North East region. But even though it's more developed than the other states, you can still find natural attractions in here. A large area of Assam consists of forests, wildlife and natural sceneries. They say that Assam is a melting pot of culture, race and religion as well. You won't feel like the odd one out here, that's for sure. Here are some of the best attractions in Assam:

Parks/Gardens
    • Kaziranga National Park - This is one of the World Heritage Sites declared by UNESCO. This is also probably one of the most visited attractions in the city. About two-thirds of the world's one-horned rhinos can be found here. The park can be toured via a vehicle (jeep or car) or by riding an elephant. Either way, ready your camera as it's going to be one amazing ride.
    • Zoological Gardens - Despite the name, this is actually a natural forest made so that the animals can live their lives as close to their natural habitat as possible. There's also a Botanical Garden here which can be quite fun for kids.
    • Dibru Saikowa National Park - The most famous wildlife specie here is the feral horse although you can also find lots of other rare species of animals as well.
    • Orang National Park - The royal Bengal tiger can be found here as well as the one-horned rhinos. It's a great place for bird watching too as various migratory birds can be found here.
    Temples
    • Kamakhya Temple - This temple is located on top of the Nilachal Hill. It is believed that the temple is over 2,500 years old already.
    • Umananda Temple - You would need to reach Peacock Island to reach this temple. This is where Lord Shiva burned down the Kamadeva to ashes.
    Waters
    • Haflong Lake - The only village in a hill station in Assam is Haflong. You can find the Haflong Lake here, with its clear water and refreshing scenery. It's the perfect place to relax and enjoy tranquility.
    • Brahmaputra River - This is the longest river in India and it's a must to take a cruise on its waters. Enjoy the scenic views along the way, from the village life, tea gardens, to the wildlife.
    Others
    • Digboi's Oil Refinery - This is the first oil refinery in Asia and the second in the world. It is believed that the refinery is over a hundred years old already.
    • Rang Ghar - This is one of the oldest standing amphitheatres in Asia. This is where Ahom kings and other important people used to watch sports and other kinds of shows.
    • Surjya Pahar - Over 999,999 Shiva Lingas were believed to have been engraved here. Although this is dedicated to the Sun God, Surya, you can find shrines for Buddhism and Jainism in here as well.
    I hope this helps!

4. Nexplore

Nexplore New Member

Assam is a very beautiful state with lots of greenery and hills. You will be able to witness different beauty than the North Indian states.

Rajasthan is a good for its heritage and forts. But in Assam, you feel in touch with nature. You should visit Kaziranga, Manas or Dibru Saikh0wa National Park for a great holiday in Assam. Some other places worth visiting are river cruising at Guwahati, Historical city Tezpur and Sibsagar, Digboi cemetery and old refinery.

You will also experience staying in an old tea bungalow in Jorhat and visit Haflong - only hill station in Assam.