1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artists And Artwork In India

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JManara, Feb 1, 2016.

1. JManara

JManara Member

I'm interested in visiting India's art galleries or viewing artwork when I travel there. Are there any local artist sites or galleries that I can visit while I'm there. I'm always fascinated with the different techniques that vary country to country and try to see local artists' work when I am traveling.

2. Andrew

Andrew New Member

I bet there is a lot of good art to see in India. As for galleries or visiting a studio I think you have to search by region on this one. I also believe that you can find more information if you know where you’ll be visiting

3. LMackey

LMackey New Member

The Delhi Art Gallery in Hauz Khas village has an extensive art gallery showcasing some of India's modern art. This would be a good place to start if you are in New Delhi and want to see 20th century art work.

4. Polaroid

Polaroid New Member

There is an art gallery in every major city in India that contain works of local artists. If you look through the newspapers you will also find many ads that will inform you about any special art exhibitions in the city that you may like to visit.

5. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Most of the cities in India have art galleries and art museums. However, the country's happening artists are concentrated in Mumbai and Delhi. In the cities such as Mumbai and Delhi, you can even get a chance to see art exhibition or visit the private galleries.

6. JManara

JManara Member

Thanks for the information, I will definitely look up some galleries to visit while I'm in Delhi. Do you need to make an appointment to visit the private galleries Vinaya? I'd love to see up and coming artists as well as old artworks.

7. gerbera

gerbera New Member

I think it would be wonderful to see how Indian culture is reflected in their art and what makes it unique to India. I'm sure there are some interesting galleries in Delhi but what about the market places? Do they show and sell their artwork there?

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

When I was over there about a year ago there were plenty of local stores and roadside shops that featured some local art. We also visited a few museums and pretty much everywhere you look there is something beautiful to look at. I would just say do some research and find any hot spots that may be close to you and start there, chances are you will find something bigger and better.

9. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I have gone to several art galleries here in Uruguay and been very disappointed. The art is of the modern variety, most of it just squiggles and splashes of paint made to sell to tourists during the high season. Is the Indian art scene similar? I would love if they had their own styles and captured their shared cultures.

10. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

I have been told that the National Museum in New Delhi is quite a site. I think you could spend a whole day there. I know there are many smaller exhibitions, which might be more personal. However, the national museum has a wide variety of collections, such as panting and manuscripts. It is a walk through history, as well as a creative experience.

11. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I second that. I was there briefly, and did not get a chance to see much, but loved what I saw. The same thing happened to me in Europe. So many museums, yet so little time. I had to almost run through them, when I really wanted to just stand and stare.