1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious About A Nagaland Tour

Discussion in 'East India' started by Jaynee, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Jaynee

Jaynee New Member

As a single traveler I quite enjoy tours, as it is nice to spend a week or so being organised by someone other than myself. It's also a good chance to meet others interested in the same things as me,

Looking around the Internet I came across a tour to Nagaland, which is described with words like 'unspoiled' and 'remote'. Both those aspects sound great, but the tours I have seen also include visits to indigenous tribes. I have a lifelong interest in anthropology, but as much as I'd like to have a glimpse into their lifestyle I would feel uncomfortable if this is something the people themselves are not into by choice.

Has anyone here done a tour like this? Opinions?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I've done several organised tours like this but not in Nagaland. Like you, my main concern was that the locals and tribes weren't really being forced to interact with the tourists. For the most part, these tribes have nothing but been helpful to us. We were able to take a glimpse into their daily lives and even tasted some of their meals. There wasn't any sign that they were being forced to interact with us or show us how they live their daily lives. And for me, that is an important aspect of any indigenous visits.

You can always look for reviews online. Or if not, ask the locals themselves if they are happy to let you see how they live. You'd be surprised that many of them don't actually mind sharing their foods with you and even sharing their life experiences with you. It has been amazing to listen to their stories, songs and even watch their dances.

There's this one local tribe here in my country which is in a very far location. She is said to be the last old-style tattoo master alive. So we had to go there and witness her magic. We were very lucky to even see her and talk a bit to her. She was very accommodating and happy to see us as well.