1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Hot Does It Get In Chennai?

Discussion in 'South India' started by Ursula, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Ursula

Ursula New Member

I am someone who is interested in seeing old temples and architecture, and Chennai is a place which has a lot of old temples and architectural places to see. I have been to North India and I have to admit it does get hot during the months of June and July, but I also know that it gets very hot in the south too. I not much of a hot weather person and generally get headaches due to exposure to the sun, so I am not sure whether a trip to Chennai in June would be suitable. Can someone please tell me how hot it gets in Chennai during June, and if it is not suitable then which month do you suggest.

2. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I am not sure of the Chennai region in particular at the time of year that you are referring to, but I can say that the heat can be a major issue when you travel to India, and it certainly was for us. We were there in the mid summer, and we actually got lucky for the most part with the weather, but there were two days that we spent in Allahabad and near there that were outrageous and almost unbearable at times. The best thing you can do is prepare and be ready.

3. June is the absolute worst month you can choose for visiting Chennai if you want to avoid the heat. Many of the highest temperatures in Chennai occur during May-June. If you want to avoid the heat I will suggest sometime from December to February as the best time.

Admin likes this.
  4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

It was very hot when I was there. I took a water bottle with me, and went around with a shirt soaked through with sweat. I am 6'1" and 200 lbs. if that helps. My gf also complained of the heat, even though she is very petite. I am used to Texas, where it can get super hot, even in the shade, but it was different in Chennai because it was also humid. Still, I didn't even think to complain, and loved it.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Ursula! Welcome to the forum!

Chennai is located at the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal. It is also located very close to the equator. Hence, the region experiences hot and humid weather all-year round. But since it's nearby the coast, there's no extreme variations in its weather conditions. There are slight variations in the weather depending on the season, but count on the hotness to remain.

Now, during the months of March to June, these are the summer season months. The hottest months would be from late May to early June. Temperatures can go as hot as 45°C during these months. However, those places near the coastline experiences some respite from the heat especially at night. But generally, the heat and humidity during these months can be unbearable. It is not an advisable time to go to Chennai, especially for sightseeing.

From July to September, these are the monsoon months. The region receives moderate to heavy rainfall during this time. The residents do rejoice to at least have some escape from the heat. However, cyclones can hit the region due to its proximity to the Bay of Bengal. It's not advisable as well to visit during these months except if you particularly enjoy the rainy season.

The winter season, from October to February, are the best months for visiting Chennai. January is the coldest month of the year. Temperatures vary between 15°C to 22°C. From mid-October to mid-December, it's not unusual to experience some rainfalls. This is the best season for travelling to Chennai as the weather is pleasant for sightseeing and other activities. Don't forget to bring your umbrella in case the rain falls though.

I hope this helps.

:)