1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many Temples In India?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Sheryl, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I am currently doing some project work with a friend and the topic is Indian temples. After doing some research I have come to learn that the topic is quite wide and there is much more to it then I thought.

I am still in the process of learning about it.

One question did pop into my mind which was as a rough idea, how many temples are there in India?

Would this include any small temples as well, as I know there some villages or towns that have very small temples?

2. Karan

Karan Member

Are you referring to just Hindu temples or temples of all religions?

Remember India is a diverse country and you would find people from faiths of Hinduism, Sikhism, Christianity, Islam, Jainism, etc.

3. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Well, all these religions are in India and fall under being Indian, so yes it would be great to get a rough idea about the number of temples in India from all religions.

Thanks

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

There is a temple for every small community. New Delhi along must have thousands of temples. There is no official data for number of temples in India that I know of.

5. Shiv

Shiv Member

The number of temples in India is vast and difficult to precisely quantify, as there are countless temples, both large and small, across the country. India has a rich and diverse religious and cultural heritage, which has led to the construction of temples in nearly every city, town, village, and even remote areas. Temples are an integral part of Indian life, and many families and communities have their own small or local temples.

There are some estimates available, but please note that these numbers can vary and may not be up-to-date due to the continuous construction of new temples and potential changes in the status of existing ones. The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) and various state archaeological departments also maintain data on historical and ancient temples.

To give you a rough idea, there are tens of thousands of temples in India, ranging from large, famous temples to small local shrines. India's temple count is vast and diverse, reflecting the country's rich religious and cultural traditions. If you are conducting research on this topic, it may be helpful to focus on a specific region or type of temple to make your project more manageable.