1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many tigers in Ranthambore National Park?

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Kite33, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Kite33

Kite33 New Member

I want to go to the famous Ranthambore National Park in Rajasthan to see the tigers there. I think one of the worst things that can happen is going to a national park and not being able to see a tiger.
    I would like to know how many tigers there are in Ranthambore National Park? I know recently that one of the tigers has recently passed away.

When in Ranthambore National Park what are the chances of seeing a tiger?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Ranthambore National Park is located in the district of Sawai Madhopur, in the state of Rajasthan. The national park covers an area of around 390 kilometres squared. It has one of the highest tiger densities in the country, with about 61 tigers in the premises. There are 10 zones in the national park and each zone has marked territories for several tigers. It is believed that zones 1 to 5 are the best places for spotting tigers. The remaining zones have lesser sightings for tigers.

The chances of spotting tigers in the national park vary. Some guests were able to spot a tiger or even tigers the first time they took a safari in the national park. On the other hand, some guests were not so lucky and even with several safaris, they were not able to spot tigers. So the possibility of spotting tigers depend really on luck. The high number of tigers here is a good indication and security though. If you're lucky enough to get into zones 2 to 4, since it's randomly given to guests and you cannot choose, then that increases your chances of seeing tigers too.

Here are some tips that I can give you so that your chances of seeing tigers are higher:
    • Visit the national park during the summer months (March to May). These months might be a bit more hotter and unpleasant but you'd spot tigers easily this way. The national park has less covering from trees and bushes during this time hence it's easier to spot animals. The tigers would also come out for watering holes like streams, ponds and lakes to get some relief from the heat. However, the park is open from October to June though.
    • Opt for the open jeep, instead of the canter. Although the canter is cheaper, it is more uncomfortable and can accommodate up to 20 people. A jeep is more expensive but is smaller and can accommodate up to six people only. Thus, you'd have more freedom and space as compared to the canter. (Jeep costs Rs. 1,200 per passenger and Canter costs Rs. 900 per passenger for Indians).
    • Wear comfortable clothing, especially during summer season. Do opt for earth-coloured clothes like green, khaki or brown. You won't surprise the animals this way as they are not used to seeing bright colours. During the winter season though, do wear thicker clothes especially if you're going for an early morning or late afternoon safari.
    • Guides and zones are allocated to guests randomly if you book online. Thus, it depends on luck whether you'll get into a zone with high tiger sightings or you'll get a guide who can actually help you see tigers more easily. The good thing is, you can choose whether you'd like the safari to be in the core zone (zones 1 to 5) or in the buffer zone (zones 6 to 10). If you'd book in person, you can only whole vehicles, not individual seats. And during peak season, lines can be quite brutal.
    • Your hotel can also arrange for your safari, but it can be more expensive. The advantage of this is that they can easily get you into the core zone of the national park.
    Here are the safari timings for the Ranthambore National Park:
    • October 1 to October 30 - 7:00 am to 10:30 am and 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm
    • November to end of January - 7:00 am to 10:30 am and 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm
    • February to end of March - 6:30 am to 10:00 am and 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm
    • April to middle of May - 6:00 am to 9:30 am and 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
    • Middle of May to end of June - 6:00 am to 9:30 am and 3:30 pm to 7:00 pm
    There you go, I hope this helps you!