1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Reach Ahobilam From Chennai

Discussion in 'South India' started by Deven, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Deven

Deven Member

Many people travel to Ahobilam from Chennai, which is a distance of around 350km. Ahobilam is located in Karnool which is in the Andhra Pradesh district and is famous for the nine shrines of Lord Nrisimha along with another famous temple of Prahaladavarada Varadhan.
    All the different nine shrines are across a distance of 5km from the main temple, which means when visiting the temples some trekking has to be done. During the month of February and mid March Brahmothsavam is celebrated.

To reach Ahobilam from Chennai there are three ways, which is by car, train and bus. As mentioned above the distance from Chennai to Ahobilam is 350km this roughly would take between 7 - 10 hours depending on the mode of transport.

How to reach Ahobilam from Chennai by bus
    There is a direct bus which goes from Chennai to Ahobilam and the journey is around six hours. The bus arrives at the Ahobilam bus stand and for those who need to go to the city centre they would need to get other means of transport such as an auto, taxi or another bus. The bus cost from Chennai to Ahobilam is around Rs225.

How to reach Ahobilam from Chennai by train
    Trains are also available from Chennai to get to Ahobiam but the journey is not direct, the journey lasts for nine hours which is three hours more than a bus or car journey. To travel by train you need to take a train from Chennai to Guntakal which would be the station you get off from. From Guntakal you need to take a bus or taxi to Ahobilam that is 190km away. Cost of traveling by train would be between Rs2850 - Rs3500.

How to reach Ahobilam from Chennai by car
    Taking a car from Chennai to Ahobilam would take around seven hours and you would need to take the NH5. If you traveling as a family this would be the most convenient way of traveling.
    The average cost of taking your own vehicle from Chennai to Ahobilam would be between Rs2200 - Rs3200.
    If you hire a taxi the cost would be between Rs9000 - Rs11000.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I wish I had this information when I went. Would you recommend the train? I would think that is the most scenic and easiest way to travel. driving can be a hassle, especially during a vacation.