1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information About Kerala House Boats

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by JasmineSingh, Feb 17, 2016.

1. JasmineSingh

JasmineSingh New Member

I want to plan a surprise trip for my husband to Kerala, but I have no knowledge about the place as all I have seen are the pictures which I why I want to go there.
    My main concern is about the houseboats, I don't know anything about them. I have put the queries into questions so it is easier to answer.
    Apologies if the questions may sound stupid but like I mentioned I have now knowledge.

1. What are the Kerala backwaters? If I am not wrong is it the river where boats rides are taken?

2. How are you able to take a boat ride on the river?

3. Are you able to stay in the houseboats?

4. What is the average cost of a houseboat?

5. If you stay in a houseboat, are local shops nearby and easily accessible?

2. Startlet245

Startlet245 New Member

This is a fabulous thing to do, and something I looked at awhile back. From memory I can answer question 3 - yes, you can stay on them.

Question 4 is more difficult to answer as it depends on the season, if you want air conditioning in the bedroom, and how big a boat you hire. I am not sure if choosing a room in a bigger boat means sharing the rest of the spaces with strangers, so you may want to check, especially as this is a romantic break.

3. sakhil

sakhil New Member

1. Backwaters are the place where the rivers gets connected with the sea. sometimes the water from sea will enter back into river and it is called backwaters

3. If you reach backwaters there will be lot of private and govt. tourism houseboat will be available for day or night rent outs. it will be same as booking hotel room. Figure out for some good boats which has A/C and television available and the rooms are clean enough. they will have package of approx 7-8K for a night with complementary candle dinner and evening snack. they will take a ride into the river starting in the evening and it will roam around and they will halt to any nearby river side in the night.

5. You will not have access to any shops as they will park anywhere at the night and will take you to the dock in the morning.

Chahal likes this.
  4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

No they are not, house boats dock at night at one of the villages. Take whatever you need with you.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

1. What are the Kerala backwaters? If I am not wrong is it the river where boat rides are taken?
    • The Kerala backwaters are an interconnected network of canals, rivers, lakes and inlets. It is composed of five large lakes connected by canals, and about 38 rivers. And yes, this is where the boat rides are taken.
    2. How are you able to take a boat ride on the river?

• You can just book a package so you can tour using the houseboats. There are even ferries that transport tourists and people in the backwaters.
    3. Are you able to stay in the houseboats?
    • Yes, you can stay the night in the houseboats. It has a sleeping area, a toilet and even a kitchen. The houseboat even has AC although you can opt to open the windows as well to bask in the view. The crew will prepare food for you so that won't be a problem.
    4. What is the average cost of a houseboat?
    • The one-bedroom houseboat costs Rs 6,750 or $146 for two persons. Check in is at 12 noon and check out would be at 9 am the next day.
    5. If you stay in a houseboat, are local shops nearby and easily accessible?
    • The houseboats can actually anchor near markets and even other local shops. Plus, there are floating supermarkets where you can do your shopping in as well.
    I hope this helps!

6. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

It is a great place to be if you are going as a couple. Do watch out for stalkers though. There are a lot of stalkers around this place and make sure you are not being followed. Also, check the boats for Cameras hidden before getting intimate with your Husband. Not that this is an unsafe place, it is just too easy for them to do vicious stuff so be careful. Happy Journey and Safe Trip.