1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kolkata to Puri Trip

Discussion in 'East India' started by Amit.Ayer, Jun 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Amit.Ayer

Amit.Ayer New Member

Hi forum members, a group of us will be making a trip to Puri from Kolkata during the Durga Pooja days. Before the trip begins there are a few queries which I would like answered, so I can decide the trip accordingly and everything goes to plan.

- What bus service is good for the Kolkata to Puri trip?

- Where are the ideal and cheap accommodations to stay in Puri?

- Which beach should be visited in Puri?

- How far is Chilka Lake from Puri?

Thanks Amit.

2. Deven

Deven Member

Take the Dhauli train which runs during the day, this would take you up to Bhubaneshwar from there you need to get a bus to Puri which run every 20 - 30 minutes.

I don't know of any specific accommodations, but there are plenty of cheap accommodations to choose from in Puri.

Chilka Lake is around 50km away from Puri,other options for beaches are Konark which is 35km away from Puri and other options like Balighai beach and Atri sulphur.

3. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Hello,

The Puri beach is good.., get yourself a cab for Chillika and Konark.. wake up early reach Chilika lake and then go to Konark... if you have some more time thn you can even visit Nandankanan....i am not able to remember how we covered all these places...

4. Amit.Ayer

Amit.Ayer New Member

Thanks for the extra information BadBoy. What is at Nandankanan?

5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

its a zoological park, but its different than other parks, it has a reptile park where you would see a large variety of Lizards,crockodiles etc.. it had a orchid house as well.. its famous for its white tigers..

you can check my sun temple (konark) images, @ https://www.indiatravelforum.in/media/users/badboy.207/
    if i was good with the camera then those images could have been even better :(

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Tanmaya likes this.
  6. Rahul4640

Rahul4640 New Member

Dhauli Express, which used to run between Bhubaneswar and Howrah, is now extended up to Puri. But then there are many other trains to go to Puri.

Tanmaya, Chahal and ChaiNashta like this.
  7. btalivny

btalivny Member

I have been to Puri a few times. I want to warn you that although the beach is stunning in nearly all aspects, the waves and pull of the ocean is extremely powerful. Many have been pulled into the extremely strong current. So much so that there are some individuals who stand around just to make sure individuals do not drown. Another tip is that there will be at least 100 free lance photographers around. My tip would be to refrain from using their services as the few times I did, i was disappointed with the terrible quality.

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You have several bus options from Kolkata to Puri. Here they are:
    • Royal Cruiser Buses - This Volvo Bus service departs at 8:00 pm and arrives at 6:30 am. It has a running time of 10 and a half hours. Fare is at Rs. 950 per person.
    • Dolphin Tours and Travels Buses - They have AC Seater/Sleeper Buses. Buses depart at 9:25 pm and arrive at 8:15 am. It has a running time of 11 hours. Fare is at Rs. 510 to Rs. 549 per person.
    • Pradhan Buses - They have AC Seater and Sleeper Buses. The bus departs at 8:45 pm and arrives at 6:45 am. Travel time is about 10 hours. Fare is at Rs. 530 per person.
    All these buses depart from the Kolkata Bus Stand and arrive at the Puri Bus Stand.

Here are some budget hotels in Puri:
    • Hotel Berries Pushpa - Their Standard Non-AC Room is at Rs. 1,500 during off-peak season. It has its own attached bathroom with hot/cold shower. There's LCD television and a double bed in the room. Room service can be requested for as well. Their address is: Gopal Ballav Road, Sea Beach, Puri 752001.
    • Hotel Golden Dust - Their Sea Facing Non-AC Room is at Rs. 1,250 per night. Rooms come with television and their own balcony. They also have a rooftop cafe which serves great meals. Their address is: On Sea Beach, New Marine Drive Road Lighthouse Area, Beside ITC Nilambu, Guesthouse, Baliapanda Housing Board Colony, Puri, Odisha 752001.
    • Kakkson Villa - Their Semi-Deluxe Non-AC Room is at Rs. 1,200 per night. It has its own bathroom, balcony and LCD television. You can access WiFi from the hotel's lobby. Their address is: Baliapanda, Puri, Odisha 752001.
    Some must-visit beaches at Puri are:
    • Puri Beach - You cannot go to Puri and not visit the Puri Beach. Ideally, its waters are for surfers because of its big waves and choppiness. However, you can still enjoy the views here especially during sunset and sunrise.
    • Balighai Beach - This is about 8 kms away from Puri Beach. This is also the nesting place for the Olive Ridley Turtles. At a distance, you can see the Nuanai River mingling with the Bay of Bengal. Boat riding, parasailing and water skiing are just some of the activities you can do here.
    • Golden Beach - One of the best beaches in Puri for its unspoiled nature. You won't find many accommodations or shacks nearby though. The water can be a bit choppy as well but the views are amazing here.
    • Baleshwar Beach - This is one of the lesser crowded beaches in Puri. There's also a temple near the beach that you can visit. This is also a bit further away at 15 kms from Puri.
    Chilka Lake is about 37 kms from Puri. This is Asia's largest saltwater lagoon as well. Because of the rich aquatic flora and fauna here, it's not rare to see birds within the lake. It's the best place for bird watchers as they can see many species of birds in here. Migratory birds start appearing in the month of October and stay until May. Aside from the birds, there's also a wide variety of fishes and aquatic species here. The famous Irrawaddy Dolphin can be found here.

I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.