1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Munnar Travel Guide

Discussion in 'Destination Guides' started by Debapriya Deb, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Munnar is arguably the most charming hill station on the Western Ghat Mountain Range in the Southern part of India. It is located at the Idukki district of Kerala, at an average altitude of 5400 feet above the sea level. Historically, it used to serve the British Government officials in South India as a summer resort.

MUNNAR AT A GLANCE

In Malayalam language, the word ‘munnu’ means 'three' and ‘aar’ means 'river'. Hence “Munnar” is a shortened version of ‘Munnu Aar’. The 3 mountain streams joining together here are Madurapuzha (Madupetti), Nallathanni and Kundala (Periavaru). Munnar is a all time favorite honeymoon destination for Indian couples. Notably, Munnar is also the home to the highest peak in South India, Anamudi Peak - located at a maximum elevation of 2695 meters above the sea level.

Munnar is like the canvas of an acclaimed artist - where the creator's imagination has come alive in the form of blue mountains, green valleys, transparent lakes and colorful weather. Rich in bio-diversity, Munnar is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna that constitutes the Eravikulam National Park and Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary.

Munnar is also known for its scenic tea gardens. The famous Kannan Devan Tea manufactured by the Tata Group is cultivated in Munnar.

DISTANCE CHART

Kochi : 127 KM
    Coimbatore : 156 KM
    Trivandrum : 272 KM
    Bangalore : 478 KM
    Chennai : 573 KM

HOW TO REACH MUNNAR

By Air:

The nearest airport is Kochi – which is located at a distance of approximately 120 KM. Besides domestic airlines, there are flights to Kochi from few of the other Asian countries, including Saudi Arabia, Srilanka, Thailand etc. For European travelers, it is more suitable to land at either Bangalore or Chennai and take another flight from there to Kochi or travel directly to Munnar by road.

By Train:
    There is no railway station at Munnar. The nearest railway station is Aluva, which is situated at a 110 KM distance from Munnar. Ernakulam is at a distance of 130 KM, while from Madurai the distance is 135 KM. Train is not a favorable mode of transport to Munnar.

By Road:
    Munnar is well-connected to major cities in Kerala, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu via National Highway 49. State Government bus services are available within Kerala and from all nearby states. Tour providers also operate buses and cabs to Munnar. Daily AC and Non-AC bus service is available from Kochi, Trivandrum, Coimbatore, Bangalore, Chennai and the fare ranges between Rs 70 to Rs 1200 depending on the distance and type of fleet. Super Luxury fleets of Volvo and Mercedes buses run on over-night basis and it takes around 8 hours to reach Munnar from Chennai and Bangalore. You can also make use of pre-paid or metered taxi services.

PREFERRED ROUTES TO MUNNAR

1. From Bangalore :: Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Erode -> Tiruppur -> Munnar [478 KM; 8.5 Hours]
    2. From Chennai :: Chennai -> Tindivanam -> Perambalur -> Dindigul -> Bodinayakanur -> Munnar [573 KM; 10 Hours]
    3. From Trivandrum :: Trivandrum -> Vattappara -> Pulimath-> Vayakkal -> Munnar [270 KM; 6 Hours]

MAJOR TOURIST ATTRACTIONS

Atukkad Water Falls
    It’s a scenic waterfall situated just 5 KM away from Munnar. However the road leading to the fall is very narrow and demands top notch driving skills. Better option is to go by trekking.

Photo Point or Shooting Point
    It is a beautiful place to click a few pictures amidst woods and a small stream. Regional movies in Tamil & Malayalam language have been shot here. It’s at a distance of 2 KM from Munnar central.

Mattupetti Dam
    It is a popular picnic spot situated at a distance of 10 KM from Munnar with activities like boating and horse riding available and is a great place to spend the day in the arms of nature.

Kundala Lake
    This lake is very beautiful surrounded by hills and woods all around. Hiring a pedal boat and exploring the lake and its surroundings is an awesome experience.

Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary & Ernavikulam National Park
    Located in the mountain ranges of Western Ghats, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary has a picturesque set up. It is equally rich in flora and fauna. A great place for the wildlife photographers to capture animals and birds in their natural habitat.

The core area of the Ernavikulam National Park consists of a high rolling hill plateau with a base elevation of about 2000 meters. The terrain consists of high altitude grasslands interspersed with sholas and a number of perennial streams. This wildlife reserve is home to the highly endangered species of mountain goats called Nilgiri Tahr. The highest peak in the entire South India, Anamudi Peak, is situated inside the core area of this national park.

Top Station
    It offers great views of the Western Ghats range. This place gives a real ‘above the clouds’ experience. Regular buses go to Top Station from Munnar which is 37 KM away and takes 1 hour travel time. Jeeps can be hired too, but it’s a bit costly.

This locality is also known for the Neelakurunji plant, which flowers only once every 12 years. The flower is violet in color and it last bloomed in the year 2006. May be a very good reason to get married in 2018, no?

RELIABLE HOTELS / RESORTS IN MUNNAR
    1. Vedanta, near Forest Range Office, Devikulam (Budget Rs 550-1050 per night)
    2. Munnar Rock Resort, 2nd Mile, Munnar Road, Munnar (Budget Rs 850-1500 per night)
    3. Spice Garden Resort, 2nd Mile, Pallivasal (Budget Rs 1150-1500 per night)
    4. Shamrock, Bison Valley Rd, Pothamedu, Idukki (Budget Rs 1200-2500 per night)
    5. Tea County Hill Resort (KTDC Operated), Munnar Central (Budget Rs 5000- 8500 per night)

OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST IN & AROUND MUNNAR
    • Tata Tea Museum
    • Naimakkadu & Lakkam Water Falls
    • Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary
    • Eco Point
    • Blossom (Hydel) Park.

Have I missed out to include something important? Feel free to add every bit of information that may prove to be helpful for the travellers.

Regards,
    Deb

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

2. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

Thank you for the post. Appreciate it. We always wanted to go to Munnar, as a family but never had a chance to go visit. Have you been there lately? We are a family of 12, so we need quality accommodation and food at the same spot. When would be the perfect time to go visit Munnar? And what about the food, is it good enough? We have 80+ year old grandparents in our family. Is it Okay to take them with us to Munnar and when is the best time for them?

3. Andre

Andre New Member

This guide is fantastic. You have given us all the information we need to plan our trip. This has taken a lot of work and research. I personally appreciate all your hard efforts.

4. George

George Member

Your travel guides rocks. I am happy you have taken the time to put these together. This really helps me narrow down where I want to go. I am limited on time and there is so much to see and do in India. It is a hard choice to make. I have so much that I want to do and see it is amazing.

5. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I have been to Kerala but I did not know about Munnar when I was staying in Kerala. The pictures look amazing. There seems to be every thing that I love doing, for example visiting wildlife sanctuaries and national park, hiking in the hills, visiting tea plantation and campaigning.