1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saffron

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Aidan, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Aidan

Aidan New Member

Saffron is one of the most expensive spices almost in every country that I have been to. I heard that it is relatively reasonably priced in India. Where can I get some good quality saffron in Mumbai?

2. xTinx

xTinx Member

Saffron is used to make curry, right? If you want it cheap, you'd have to scour the markets near the place you're staying. You have Crawford and Colaba wet markets but I don't know how far these places are from where you're at. You may want to check online for more details. Google map will come in handy too.

3. swalia

swalia Guest

Saffron is highly priced and it's very difficult to find pure, good quality saffron. It's very easy to get duped by paying exorbitant price for fake saffron which is generally colored corn husk. I would advise to buy saffron from a branded shop rather than from a roadside vendor.

4. Ted

Ted New Member

I agree with Swalia. It is a very rare spice and extremely expensive because it is delicately plucked by hand and then dried. It involves a lot of manual work. I don't think you will be able to find it much cheaper in India either. Make sure you buy from a place that you can trust.

5. Kyle

Kyle New Member

I am not much of a cook so please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is saffron used for? What is so special about it?

6. JoJo

JoJo New Member

I'm with you Kyle. I've heard of it but don't know what it is used for. If curry is derived from it then it's of no consequence to me. I'm not a big fan of curry but haven't I heard of saffron tea somewhere along the line?

7. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I don't think saffron is cheap in India, if you ever find cheap priced saffron, it must be duplicate saffron. saffron is grown commercially in Afghanistan where you can find in cheapest rate.

8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Some very good quality saffron is grown in Kashmir and it is cheaper to buy in India. Please do not misinform people.

9. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, it is possible to get saffron in India, and it can be a great gift. The prices will be cheaper, but will not be incredibly cheap. They are aware of what it costs, and want to make a profit, too. Also, sadly, the best saffron comes from Iran, so although India produces a lot, and it is fairly good, it is not the richest.

10. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

When I hear about saffron I think of price. I know it is a very popular and good spice but I was wandering about that. how much is 1 gram of it in India? I read about some unrealistic prices that is why I ask. Other than that can someone share some useful tips about cooking with saffron. In Serbia we do not use it in cooking.

11. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

At market, you can get a gram for between 30 to 60 euros. Iran has the cheapest saffron at the same quality as the most expensive Spanish saffron. India should be somewhere in the middle. I would think probably close to 30 euros per gram.