1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourist Places in Andhra Pradesh

Discussion in 'South India' started by Gogi, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Gogi

Gogi New Member

I love the food from Andhra Pradesh, but that is all I know about the place. I wish to visit Andhra Pradesh one day and am hoping to go in December this year.
    I don't know anything about the state or what places I should go. I need some help from the members to tell me about the tourist places in Andhra Pradesh.

I am interested in seeing places from temples wildlife, historical monuments to landmarks.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, @Gogi!

Andhra Pradesh is the fourth largest state in India. It is surrounded by forests, hills, rivers and caves, making it an ideal eco-tourism destination. It is also known for the many temples you can visit here. Since this state also shares a part of the Bay of Bengal, you'll find some beach destinations here as well. Here's a few places in Andhra Pradesh worth visiting:

1. Tirupati. You mentioned that you would love to see temples, then Tirupati is the perfect destination for you. This place is known for its various temples. Here's some attractions here:
    • Sri Venkateswara Temple. You can find this in the seventh peak of the Tirumala Hill, just on the south of Swami Pushkarini River. It is one of the richest temples in the world and the second most visited shrine in the world.
    • Sri Govindarajaswami Temple. This is a temple dedicated to Lord Parthasarathy and Lord Govindaraja.
    • Sri Vari Museum. The museum sheds some light on the history of the Sri Vari Temple.
    • TTD Gardens. This is a great place for nature lovers, you'll find greenery and colour here from all the plants and flowers.
    • Deer Park. Of course, deers are the main attractions here although there's a wide variety of species of animals as well.
    2. Nellore. Here you'll find a mixture of different cultures and arts. It's a great place to explore for art and history lovers. Some attractions here are:
    • Udayagiri Fort. It's a great attraction because inside the fort are different buildings and temples depicting the different eras in the region at the time. The fort itself had been under the control of various rulers and conquerors.
    • Venkatagiri Fort. This one was built by Recherla Rulers and boasts of its peaceful and serene location.
    • Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple. You'll find this in the banks of Pennar River. This temple was built by the Pallava Rulers.
    • Nellapattu Wildlife Sanctuary. Climb the watchtower for a great view of these rare species of birds here. There's also a museum and library inside the sanctuary.
    3. Chittoor. This is yet another culturally rich place. Their agricultural economy is also strong with major crops like grains, mangoes, sugarcanes and peanuts. Some attractions here are:
    • Horsley Hills. You can trek to reach this place and enjoy the views from the top of the hill station. There's even a park and a small zoo here.
    • Kaundinya Wildlife Sanctuary. Elephants, Himalayan Black Bears and Jackals are just some of the animals you can spot here. The Kaigal and Kaudinya Streams are also great attractions to visit inside the sanctuary.
    • Gurramkonda Fort. Initially, this was made using mud but eventually was strengthened by the use of rocks as materials.
    4. Anantapur. This is the largest district in the state. It is also known for its diamond mining. Agricultural products here are rice, cotton and maize. Places to visit here are:
    • Ravadurg Gooty Fort. This is one of the oldest hill forts in Andhra Pradesh. It is also named as the "King of Forts" mainly because it houses another 15 forts inside it.
    • Thimmamma Marrimanu Tree. The largest Banyan Tree in Southern India can be found here which is spread over 500 acres of land.
    • Raidurga Fort. This fort houses several temples namely: the Hanuman, the Narasimhanand and the Jambukeswara.
    5. Kurnool. This town has been around since the Palaeolithic Era. There are various temples and forts in the town as well. Places to see are:
    • Kurnool Fort. This was built by Achyuta Devarayalu. Inside the fort, there's two temples and a prison. The prison is still in good condition.
    • Adoni Fort. This fort dates as far back as 1200 BC. It's mostly in ruins now but it's still majestic despite this.
    • Mahanandi Temple. This is a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and has been renovated by different rulers over different times.
    • Belum Caves. This is the longest cave in India and contains some beautiful stalagmite and stalactite formations.
    • Nallamala Forest. This is one of the largest undisturbed forests in India. The Cumbum Lake is also found here.
    • Rollapadu Bird Sanctuary. The most famous attraction here is the Great Indian Bustard. Although Jackals and Cobras can also be found here.
    There you go. There's many more places you can visit in Andhra Pradesh. With all the temples, forts and other historical monuments, even a month won't be enough to visit them all. I hope this helps!