1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Translating

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Daira, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Daira

Daira New Member

Does anyone have plans to use a translator when traveling to India? These days there are digital options in addition to books and I was wondering if I should plan to purchase something like this.

2. MarilynB

MarilynB New Member

I think it's a good idea to have something like it in case you run into someone who doesn't do well with the English language, although I think a lot of the tourist places are English.

3. xTinx

xTinx Member

Well you can try learning conversational dialects (e.g. Tamil, Punjabi or Malayalam, etc.) depending on where you intend to go but do this before the trip. You can also bring a small guide with you. In places like Delhi and Mumba, there's no need to because most of the people there are good at speaking English.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

There's a ton of apps these days that you can use offline to translate things from one language to another. Most of the time though, I find that gestures can get me understood at most places I've travelled to - and even more often, people speak enough English to get by!

5. Maja

Maja Member

A lot of people in India know how to speak good English so I guess you don't actually need it. But it does help to have an app that can help you translate their language just in case that you don't meet anyone who speak English, which is highly unlikely.

Or perhaps you can learn some useful phrases. The country is multi-language, so just make sure that you would be learning the correct one.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi! I do have some apps on my phone which helps me understand a bit about the language of the country that I'm visiting. You don't have to worry about the costs because most of these apps are free. Here's a few that I can recommend to you:
    • Duolingo. I use this app to get myself acquainted with a certain language. The app has a fun and lively interface and is very easy to use. You can even challenge your friends to test your skills and knowledge about a certain language.
    • Google Translate. Probably one of the most well-known translator apps out there, nothing can beat Google Translate. The downside with this app is it needs to be constantly connected to the internet to work well.
    • Translate Voice. This one can actually translate up to 80 languages. It's nice because you just input the words or phrases via speaking and it can translate it for you.
    I hope this helps!

7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

A basic pocket dictionary is always a good idea. But you probably will not need anything. There are many people who speak English,, and it is almost the go to language across the whole of India. Since there are so many different languages in India, English is useful for communication.

8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

It is actually pretty endearing because if you show that you are trying to learn the language, the locals would even be nicer to you. You should try it, instead of hiring a translator to do all the talking for you. You get to learn a new language, you get to bond with the people from the area, and you get bonus points for trying to join them in their culture, which is a huge plus when it comes to their hospitality and generosity. Try it out, you won't regret it!

9. integrity101

integrity101 Member

You don't necessarily need a translator when visiting tourist resorts in India. Almost everyone you meet there speaks English. You may however need one if touring remote villages in the rural areas.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While you won't necessarily need a translator, as most people do speak basic English, it's always nice to at least show that you're making some kind of effort in learning the language.

While as others have said, there are now apps available, you'll just have to make sure your device is charged at all times if you're going to make the most of them.