1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

29 Souvenirs To Buy From India - One From Each Of The 29 Indian States

Discussion in 'Destination Guides' started by Debapriya Deb, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

What souvenirs to buy from India? What are some of the best Indian souvenirs? What can be the most authentic souvenir to collect from India?

These are pretty common questions that most of the foreign tourists would have in their minds while on a tour to India. Not only the foreign tourists, but even the Indian travellers like to collect some form of memorabilia from their trips to the other parts of the country.

Souvenirs from India are meant to cherish the memories of your India trip. The choice of souvenirs to buy from India is pretty diverse in nature. Being such a vast country, India does have a diversified range of artifacts that are ideal to be collected as souvenirs. If you are wondering about things to take back from India as the souvenirs from your trip, then you are at the right place. In this article, we will present you with a list of traditional Indian souvenirs that you can collect from each of the 29 states of India as a memento of your memorable India trip.

Best Souvenirs to Buy from India

1. Souvenirs from Andhra Pradesh

Andhra Pradesh is renowned for the Banjara Needle Crafts. Banjara is a gypsy community in India and the magical Needle Craft is a traditional art form they expertise in. It's a form of handicraft which includes embroidery and mirror works. These vibrant and colorful handmade fabrics, which include a wide variety of objects from floor mats to door/window curtains and bed-spreads to cushion covers, can be some of the finest mementoes to take back along from your India tour.

2. Souvenirs from Arunachal Pradesh

With more than 50% of the total surface area covered with thick forests, Arunachal Pradesh is the perfect place to go shopping for some of the handcrafted wood and bamboo products. In-fact it's too hard to resist the temptation of buying these artistic objects which include baskets and dishes made of Manpa wood, wooden ornaments and cane photo-frames. With a sizeable population of Buddhist people, you can also buy the colorful 'Thangkas' of various Buddhist deities.

3. Souvenirs from Assam

Assam is famous for its weaving culture, and the beautiful tea gardens. If you belong to the fairer sex, then the hand-woven Assam Muga Silk sarees are a must buy souvenir from the state of Assam. The finest quality Assam CTC tea can give it a tough competition though.

4. Souvenirs from Bihar

The famed Qalaam Paintings of Patna can be an impressive addition to your well-decorated drawing room. If you haven't heard about it before, then it's certainly not your fault. Even Google won't be able to show you more than a few results if you try searching for 'Qalaam Paintings'.

Qalaam Painting is an exclusive style of Indian art that was immensely popular in Bihar during the 18th and the 19th centuries, but currently it's regarded as a dieing form of art. Focused solely on the lifestyles of commoners, it's fully worth paying a few bucks to take home a remarkable yet almost extinct piece of traditional Indian painting.

5. Souvenirs from Chhattisgarh

The tribal community of Chhattisgarh is renowned for their beautiful terracotta pottery and sculptures. So the choice is quite straightforward here. Do make sure to take home a piece of the spiritual customs of rituals of Chhattisgarh in the form of a terracotta artifact.

6. Souvenirs from Goa

The famed coconut art can be the perfect reminder of the memorable time spent at Goa. The artistic beer mugs, storage pouches, ashtrays and funky shaped bottles made of coconut shells are the ideal souvenirs to take home from the Goan street markets.

7. Souvenirs from Gujarat

The bright and colourful patterns of bandhani fabrics have become a symbolic mascot of Gujarat's handicrafts. Extremely deft and intricate needlework in combination with glass pellets are the highlights of this impressively designed artifacts. From bed-covers to clothing accessories and door hangings to creative ornaments - you will have a wide range of bandhini products to pick your most favorite souvenirs from the state of Gujarat.

8. Souvenirs from Haryana

Haryana is famous for wooden crafts. Designer wooden frames, small-scale furnitures and wooden statues are among the most popular mementoes to buy from this North Indian state. Sports gears made of wood, including genuine Kashmiri Willow cricket bats, can be purchased at an affordable price from the local manufacturing units at Haryana.

9. Souvenirs from Himachal Pradesh

Famous for its woolen handicrafts, Himachal Pradesh brings you an array of thermal garments to pick as memorabilia of your visit. Kullu Topi, a traditional head-gear used by the natives, is the most popular choice, followed by vibrant-colored muffler and scarfs, woolen/leather jackets and traditional tribal attires.

10. Souvenirs from Jammu & Kashmir

Pashmina shawls and carpets are the most striking authentic Kashmiri objects that can be collected as souvenirs. Showpiece items made of Papier Machie are equally popular among the tourists from all over the world.

11. Souvenirs from Jharkhand

Jharkhand, especially the Bastar region, is well-known for its brass metal works. The metal is liquified to mould them into various shapes ranging from the idols of different Gods and Goddesses, show-pieces and home utilities.

12. Souvenirs from Karnataka

Sandalwood artifacts are a must buy if you are visiting the Southern state of Karnataka. The Mysore region is especially famous for sandalwood production and the beautiful handicrafts with the subtle fragnance of sandal is sure to amaze you like no other.

Something that can give it a close competition is the famed Mysore Silk sarees. The silky soft fabrics with beautiful thread-work on the body and the bright golden jari-work on the borders make it look distinct from the silk sarees available in the other parts of India.

13. Souvenirs from Kerala

The South Indian state of Kerala is known for its rich tradition and culture. Coir products are quite popular among the tourists. These are simple yet elegant, the coir based mats, rugs, door hangings, bags and show-pieces can give an aesthetic touch to your home decor. Apart from the coir products, the mural paintings based on ancient Indian mythological themes and the Kathakali musks can be equally attractive as souvenirs to collect from Kerala.

14. Souvenirs from Madhya Pradesh

Beautiful carpets made of thick cotton sheets are a trademark of Madhya Pradesh handicrafts. The colorful designs and unique patterns of these hand-made floor coverings will bowl you over. Pretty light on weight, these portable carpets do not take too much space. So you can easily fit quite a few of these inside a single trolley bag.

15. Souvenirs from Maharashtra

The famed Kolhapuri chappals are the ideal souvenirs to collect from Maharashtra. Made of leather, the Kolhapuri footweare are known for their ethnic flat design. These stylish footweare go well with almost any kind of apparel, making them a universal choice among the tourists of all ages and ethnicity.

16. Souvenirs from Manipur

The Mekhla-Chadder, a traditional outfit for the Manipuri women, can be the pick of souvenirs to buy from Manipur. You can also get a whole lot of utility artifacts made from bamboo and cane - which are equally popular among the tourists visiting the North-Eastern state of Manipur.

17. Souvenirs from Meghalaya

Meghalaya may not be a shoppers paradise, but there are a few unique knick knacks that can be bought from this remote part of the country. Ryndiah silk shawl is something that you won't find anywhere else in the world. It's made of natural silk produced from a typical species of worms and the process is entirely organic. Moreover, the shawls are hand-woven by the Khasi women, without even the slightest of machine works involved. Unlike typical silk products that lose shine upon washing, the Ryndiah silk is something that gets softer and brighter the more you wash it.

18. Souvenirs from Mizoram

Bamboo is grown in abundance in the hilly terrains of Mizoram and the handicrafts sector in the state is dominated by bamboo products. The traditional ornaments made of bamboo are the finest products to buy from this North-Eastern state. Other souvenirs that can be purchased from Mizoram include show-pieces, baskets, decorated lamp-shades, wall hangers, kitchenware and photo-frames - all made of bamboo and its bi-products.

19. Souvenirs from Nagaland

Nagaland offers you a unique collection of organic souvenirs made of water lily, grass, abaca and other locally sourced materials. From footwears to bags, purses, wallets, designer pouches and wall decors, you can browse through a wide collection of handicraft items and purchase the ones that can satisfy your own taste.

20. Souvenirs from Odhisa

Pattachitra paintings are an authentic form of art prevalent in Odhisa from ages. The history of Pattachitra art dates back to the 5th Century BC, making it one of the most preserved form of art in the Indian subcontinent. A unique feature about these paintings is the use of natural colors. The colors are obtained from organic sources like plant extracts, fruit pulps, and soil derived substances. The subjects depicted on the canvas are predominantly from the Indian mythological epics, although contemporary variations are also available in good numbers.

21. Souvenirs from Punjab

Phulkari embroidery has been an integral part of Pubjab's culture and tradition. The beautiful hand-made flower designs and calligraphy crafted on vibrant, eye-catching colors look extraordinary and rest assured, it can impress one and all. Suits, shawls, jackets and sarees with intricate phulkari design can be the best gift to take back from the land of five rivers.

22. Souvenirs from Rajasthan

Rajasthan contributes with some of the best souvenirs that one can collect from an India tour. The stunning jewellery items with meenkari works are by far the most sought after souvenirs from Rajasthan. In-fact, not only the jewellery, the Rajasthani meenkari craftsmanship is quite evident in other artifacts as well. Ornament boxes, fabrics and home decor items like curtains and cushion covers also feature this exclusive meenkari art. This Persian art form was exported to India in the medieval era and the Rajasthani artisans have enriched it further by incorporating their own native elements into this delicate form of artwork.

23. Souvenirs from Sikkim

With a sizable population of Buddhist followers, Sikkim brings you a wide range of Tibetan artifacts. The foldable hand-fan made of ultra-thin sheets of wood is one of the unique souvenirs to bring back from Sikkim. You will also be impressed by the colorful Buddhist Thongkas which can add a new dimension to the decoration of your living room.

24. Souvenirs from Tamil Nadu

Tamil Nadu has been the abode of stone carvings since the Chola period. Madurai, Kumbakonam and Tanjore are especially famous for the stone products. Beautiful miniature sculptures of religious elements, stone-carved show-pieces, utilities and marble utensils are among the most recognizable mementoes you can collect from your trip to Tamil Nadu.

25. Souvenirs from Telengana

The newest state in India, Telengana is famous for its pearls. No trip to Telengana is complete without bringing home the finest quality Hyderabadi pearls. Pearl necklaces, bracelets and bangles are available in a wide variety of designs to suit the taste of the buyers.

26. Souvenirs from Tripura

Like many other North-Eastern states, bamboo is a major source of handicraft in Tripura as well. You can find a wide variety of bamboo and wooden products, including sculptures, vessels, idols, and toys in the streets of Agartala that are not only beautiful, but also quite easy on the pocket.

27. Souvenirs from Uttar Pradesh

How about taking an entire Taj Mahal back with you as a souvenir from India? Wouldn't it be an awesome Indian souvenir? The Taj Mahal is undoubtedly the most recognized tourist attraction not only in Uttar Pradesh, but also in the entire country. Famous for its exclusive marble carvings, the best gift to buy from Uttar Pradesh is the miniature replica of the Taj Mahal. Whether to keep it in your showcase to impress the guests or present it to your near and dear ones to make them elated - the choice is entirely yours.

28. Souvenirs from Uttarakhand

Raambaans craft is a unique feature of Uttarakhand that you won't find anywhere else in India. Raambaan is a natural fibre, similar to jute, derived from Sisal plant which is found aplenty in the hills of Uttarakhand. This natural fibre is used to weave various decorative items like bags, wall hanging, floor mats and show-pieces. So if you are visiting the beautiful Himalayan regions of Uttarakhand anytime soon, then don't forget to take home a few of the exclusive Raambaans items which are not only distinctive in outlook, but also very durable in nature.

29. Souvenirs from West Bengal

West Bengal has always been the focal point of Indian crafts, culture and music. You get a wide range of traditional Indian souvenirs to choose from West Bengal including the famous Bengal Silk (taant) sarees, Bishnupur terracotta sculptures, wall paintings, wooden items, cane products and of-course the delicious Bengali sweet dishes. But with due respect to all these amazing things, what stands apart in West Bengal is its folk music instruments. If you are a music lover, then do check out the exclusive range of traditional musical instruments. The likes of Ektara, Dotara, Flute, Dhak, Dholak and Ploong are some of the most amazing musical instruments that you will ever encounter in your life. If you are looking for some really unique souvenirs from India, then the musical instruments of West Bengal should be on top of your list.

Hope the article does justice to the wide range of souvenirs available in various corners of India. These are not only souvenirs or mementoes, but actually the bits and pieces that make India such a remarkable tourist destination. Along-with the wonderful memories from your grand tour, you get to take back a little piece of India in the form of souvenirs to cherish and re-live the moments for the rest of your life.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Tanmaya, Chahal, Admin and 1 other person like this.

2. rz3300

rz3300 Member

That is a very informative list and thank you so much for sharing it with us. I really wish that I could go back in time before I took my trip to India and see if any of these items were possible to get. Just looking at them I am not sure and no names are really coming to mind, but it was a couple of years ago and my memory is not the best. I bet all of that stuff would be great to have though.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Personally, something I love to do is take small vials of soil or sand from everywhere I visit. I have a large collection which runs the colors of the rainbow. I want to give that to my kids, since I think it is really neat, and a great way to visualize everywhere I have been. I know that such things can be purchased in other countries, so I wonder if this is available in India. It would be a great and simple gift to sell.

Debapriya Deb likes this.
  4. Destiny

Destiny Member

That was a great list! I love buying souvenirs from all the countries I visit, anywhere in the world. Thanks for sharing with us! Definitely, going to keep an eye out.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

What an awesome idea! It's always great to know what is unique or renowned in a certain area, and this list definitely does that comprehensively. I would say that my favorite type of souvenirs are things I can use often, or admire regularly - so clothing/accessories, handicrafts or art that I can hang on my walls back home would be things I gravitate towards the most. I like the idea of getting curtains or cushion covers from Rajasthan - I think they'd be a good talking point any time someone came to visit!

6. tabby

tabby Member

As I don't have much money, I normally ditch buying souvenirs when I get the chance to travel. But if I can find myself in India, I'll definitely wan't an authentic Pashmina shawl (but I bet they'll be expensive). I guess I have a thing for shawl because the way you described the Ryndiah silk shawl just makes me want to have it, haha!
    Oh my! The souvenirs from Goa are too darn cute. It's like cuteness overload. I can't seem to decide if I like the giraffe more or the hippo (is that a hippo, middle 2nd row?).
    Now am drooling with envy just looking at the Taj Mahal replica. Gorgeous.
    Great list, btw!