A South Indian Breakfast

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by jnorth88, Apr 6, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Just came across this picture of a typical South Indian breakfast.

south-indian-breakfast.jpg

It includes delicious dosa, uthappams, and a single vada, served with sambhar and both a coconut and chili chutney. This is great for people cutting out wheat products, as they are made from rice batter, black gram or lentils. All very healthy, and very tasty.

I would love to see some other options, or what is eaten elsewhere in India?

Admin likes this.

2. Mohit Eagle

Mohit Eagle Member

So to say this is probably the healthiest Indian breakfast option.

Other breakfast options in India include parantha (a common breakfast option across India) which is fried flat bread, either plain or with a stuffing of potatoes, cauliflower or cottage cheese. Other parts of India have chole bhatura, which is deep fried bread made from flour with chick pea curry, the other alternative to this is aloo puri, which is again deep fried bread from wheat flour and potato curry.

3. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

I made this for breakfast known as 'appam' It has no wheat flour but just white rice, yeast, sugar, salt and coconut juice. It is eaten with any kind of syrup - maple is ideal. We do not get that syrup here. I make several fruit juice concentrates from fruits that grow in our garden and so I poured bellfruit juice concentrate on them and had a feast.
    001.JPG