1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Bnb In India

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by amelia88, Sep 1, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Has anyone used Air BNB to book accommodation in India?

I've used it in several other places that I have vacationed in, but as yet haven't researched whether there is much available in India.

I've found it as a great cheaper alternative to booking hotels before - but I always like personal recommendations from others who have stayed in particular accommodation booked through the service before.

2. nomad

nomad New Member

I haven't used Air BNB in India but some of my friends have. There are definitely plenty of options if you're wanting to go that route for accommodation. There are also lots of 'female only' options if you're a woman - my friend stayed in one like that and found it really good. You can find some places that give you a taste of the culture as well, and if it's a family-run business you'll likely have the opportunity to join the family for a meal or activities if you wish.

As you've used Air BNB before you'll be aware it really pays to have a look at the ratings and read all of the reviews before you commit. India is so large it might be difficult to find someone on these boards that has stayed in the particular location that you're looking at.

amelia88 and Chahal like this.

3. Sramana

Sramana Member

As a rule, I would personally prefer the safety of a hotel rather than stay at an AirBnB. The rates in India are not too different from your average hotel. Also, awareness among the general public and law enforcement about AirBnBs is minimal. So even if you run into problems, talking to a police officer (especially in smaller towns) about living in an AirBnB might not be easy - they might have no idea what an AirBnB is. And AirBnB is notorious for not taking responsibility in such situations.

That said, AirBnB options are available in India, especially in big cities like Bangalore, Chennai and Delhi. Some people also advertise home-stays and hotels on AirBnB which I am not a big fan of. In general, I would recommend using the same guidelines you would use for an AirBnB anywhere. Check ratings - talk to the hosts - only stay where you trust them. I would also add that as a solo female traveller, stay at an AirBnB only if you can ascertain that the host or anyone else would have zero access to your space. If you are staying in a shared space, I would recommend exercising caution.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I definitely do read the reviews - so much easier to get a feel for a place than just relying on pictures from the accommodation source themselves.

I didn't know about the female only options though, and I think that would be a big help (just in terms of my own peace of mind, really!) and the idea of getting to sit down with a family for a traditional meal is something I'd love to do!

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh man, thank you for sharing that article in your post - I hadn't read it, but after reading it I am wary of using it again. The times I have used AirBNB haven't been solo before, I've been traveling with friends at those points in time, and we also had the entire place to ourselves rather than just renting out a single room in a person's home.

Appreciate the food for thought - it's given me something to think about, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  6. Faye1232212

Faye1232212 New Member

I agree with others on this thread that it's much safer to stay at a hotel. Whether in the States, China or India , you take a risk by using air bnb. You really don't know the people with whom you are staying with and surely don't know their intentions. I have heard horror stories from overcharging all the way to rape. I would steer clear and find an affordable hotel. Besides, it seems like too much of a hassle to go through air bnb. Good luck

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I'm not saying it isn't safe, and depending on your budget it might be an option, but I'd also probably recommend booking into an hotel instead of at all possible.

While it might work out a little more expensive, the peace of mind of knowing your safer is something money can't buy so I would only use it as a last resort.

8. Chrisanswer

Chrisanswer New Member

I've used AirBnb before for European travel and they are a safe site. The person involved won't get you money until you start you stay and generally the people who advertise properties on there, tend to be good people. Never used it for India but the site is a class act. Go for it!!!!!!!

9. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

I have a place in Bangalore which I would have liked to list on AirBnB but looking at the negative sentiment I feel I am better off renting the place. The problem with India is even if your intention is genuinely good there are so many scamsters out there it is difficult not to be labelled as one.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm sure there are many people who have had positive experiences, but I just don't think for the sake of the savings you make, it's worth taking the chance.

It's probably no more dangerous in India than what it is in any other part of the world so my thoughts on it aren't particularly region specific, I just prefer the safety of a regular hotel.