1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airbnb?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Aidan, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Aidan

Aidan New Member

What do you guys think of AirBnB? Has anyone here ever tried them? Is it safe to stay with someone you don't know? What should I look for in a profile?

2. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

AirBnB, haven't tried it yet looking forward for it.

3. Kyle

Kyle New Member

I am not sure I would be comfortable staying with someone I have never met. I know a lot of people who have tried it and had quite good experiences though.

4. mamanana

mamanana New Member

I've used it once - we were going to an event in London and couldn't find a hotel nearby in our price range. We spent a LOT of time reading through reviews and comparing profiles on Airbnb before choosing a young couple who had an apartment right across the street from the event location. They couldn't have been nicer! Made sure we knew exactly how to get there (down to precise Tube directions), chatted with us when we arrived, cleared us our own shelf in the fridge and when we wanted to just chill out in the room they left us alone to do that. It was like staying with friends really. And it's really nice to have cooking facilities, which you obviously wouldn't in a hotel. I'd definitely recommend it!

5. Daphne

Daphne New Member

I guess it will always depend on the kind of people you stay with. I have not tried AirBnB before, but I think I would be open to give it a shot.

6. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I have an account with AirBnB, however, I have not checked any of AirBnB service.

7. Andrew

Andrew New Member

I have always liked to stay with people in different countries. It is a good cultural experience. However, my wife is not so happy with this idea. She said she feels like she is intruding on their privacy

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I have heard mixed reviews when it comes to AirBnB, but I have no personal experience. What I have learned, though, is that people are much more likely to complain in reviews than to commemorate good service, so what I always do is look for commonalities in reviews and really see what they say about the company and their responsiveness. That matters to me, and I think it shows a good company when people say positive things there.

9. Antonr5860

Antonr5860 New Member

I know that AirBnB can provide you with a unique, and cheap, place to stay! I found myself a traditional Indian hut in the rural parts - something I never would of found without it.

However, you need to be careful. As with any website, there are scams that can ruin your holiday, which appear to be more and more common by the day. India is one of the locations most at risk of this. However, you can take precautions. When you see an image of an appealing abode for a night or two, drop the image into the Google search bar. If you see more than one result, this is most likely a scam.

However, that method isn't full proof. Remember to do your research about an area before booking.

10. Aurora

Aurora New Member

A friend of mine mentioned AirBnB and he was wondering if he should try it. Thanks for your tips, @Antonr5860; they are really helpful. You are right, you never know who you will end up staying with.

11. Malibu

Malibu New Member

As far as I know, AirBnB is a very well known website that can help you find hosts in different countries. I had no idea it had a lot of scammers. Aren't there any reviews on the hosts' profiles?

12. MarilynB

MarilynB New Member

Checking it out on Google search is a great idea, thanks Anton5860, that hadn't occurred to me. I've heard good things and bad about airbnb. Some people really liked it and others not so much. I think a lot of it depends on the type of person you are and whether you feel comfortable living for a week or two with someone you don't know.

13. oportosanto

oportosanto New Member

So this is curious, why do you have an account with AirBnB is you haven't used their services?

I have browsed quite a lot in AirBnB, but haven't actually made a reservation yet as other opportunities appear, but they always have great offers and their prices are really competitive.

14. Fredy Mejia

Fredy Mejia New Member

Staying with someone you have never met before could have its pro's and con's. You get to meet a new person from a whole different culture. You may not know the person so It could be a bit awkward at first. I have had friends tried it and they have had great experiences, but I would recommend you trying 'Groupon' a lot of discounts when traveling and lots of discounts around you.

15. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Airbnb is great, not only is it easy to navigate but the prices are far less than what you would find online. They offer pretty much anything you are looking for. Just be respectful with wherever you stay. They offer a great service and I have heard several stories about rooms being trashed and then not liable for it. It is a great and trustworthy service and I have never had any problem with it.

16. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member

Honestly I'm not really into AirBnB. Scrolling through the site is so tempting because all those places look so good, but I think they're mostly way too expensive to be worth it. It's better to just find a sublet that accepts no minimum days stay. AirBnB is good if you're not too worried about budget, but if you're trying to travel with no expenses, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

17. dane

dane New Member

Anybody use AirBnB in India? or similar site? I've used it in other countries, mostly Europe, if you pick right listing, talk with them before I think it's great way to get to know a place as you're right in with a local.