1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ajmer City Points of Interest

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by Layva, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Layva

Layva New Member

I am going with my family to Jaipur for a few days, after our stay in Jaipur, we will go towards Ajmer to the dargah. As we will be leaving for Ajmer early in the morning from Jaipur, we will have plenty of time left after we have gone to the dargah.

It would be good to see other parts of Ajmer, as I am sure there must be more to see other than just the dargah.

I would like the Ajmer city points of interest. We already about know Puskar, and would either go on the same day or the next day from Ajmer, depending on how things get planned out.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

Ajmer is definitely known for the Dargah of the famous saint named Khwaja Moin-ud-Din Chishti. But aside from that, there are also other tourist attractions in the city of Ajmer. Here's some worth visiting:
    • Akbar's Palace and Museum. Features weaponry and armour dating as far back as the 6th and 7th Century. This was built by Emperor Akbar and also has Hindu figurines, paintings, sculptures and other artefacts.
    • The Taragarh Fort. You would need to trek a bit to reach the hill top where the fort is located. At the peak, you'll find the Taragarh Fort which used to be the main meeting point for military activities during the Mughal Period. You can also see a great view of the town from the peak.
    • Ana Sagar Lake. Said to be created by Anaji although Mughal Emperors did some modifications to it. Great for having a picnic or just enjoying the view.
    • Dhai Din-Ka-Jhonpra. It is believed that Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti used to pray very often in this mosque. It is now considered a monument and pilgrims visit it every year.
    • Mayo College. A school that was set up specifically for the Rajputana, is now one of the best schools in India.
    Now, here are some cities near Ajmer that are worth visiting:
    • Shekhawati. At about a distance of 131 kms from Ajmer, this desert region is of prime importance to India's history. The Shekhawati was mentioned several times in the epic of Mahabharata. It is also believed that "The Vedas" was written in this region. The place is mostly known for its havelis, namely: Haveli Nadine Prince, Morarka Haveli Museum, Dr. Ramnath A. Poddar Haveli Museum, Jagannath Singhania Haveli and the Khetri Mahal. There are also some forts worth visiting here like the Mandwa Fort, Mukundgarh Fort and Dundlord Fort. There's also the Tal Chhapar Sanctuary which features mostly deers.
    • Nagaur. A little further away at about 150 kms from Ajmer is Nagaur. Most famous for its Nagaur Fort which houses different palaces, temples, fountains and gardens. Pilgrims also visit the Taken Dargah in here. The Jain Glass Temple is also a major tourist attraction in here. Nagaur is also known for its beautiful palaces like the Akbari Mahal and Rani Mahal.
    • Tonk. At about 156 kms away from Ajmer, you can reach the town of Tonk. The Sheesh Mahal or the Mansion of Gold can be found here. There's also the Jama Masjid which is one of the biggest mosques in India.
    • Pali. This one is about 162 kms away from Ajmer. You can visit several temples and museums in here. One in particular is the Bangur Museum, which features rare collections of jewelries, artefacts, coins and even royal costumes. Temples you can visit are the Parshuram Mahadev Temple, the Chamunda Mata Temple and the Hatundi Rata Mahabir Swami Temple.
    I hope this helps!