1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ashtalakshmi Temple

Discussion in 'South India' started by Karanveer, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Karanveer

Karanveer New Member

I am at the start of my photography career, and I am more into the travel sector and love taking pictures of temples, landmarks, village people, and anything which is related to travel or shows a different culture or tradition.
    I am soon heading to Chennai mainly to take shots of temples, and one temple I eagerly want to take pictures of is Ashtalakshmi Temple, which is located in Chennai.
    I will most probably spend the whole day at the temple or around it as I want to capture the temple at different times of the day.

Coming this far I will also pay my respects by going inside and would like to get there early, what time does the temple open?

I would also like to know some brief history about the temple as well and what it is famous for, as I find it necessary to learn about the religious places or other landmarks I take pictures of.

2. Shiv

Shiv Member

I am not really into photography, but I can tell you this much that you will be able to capture some beautiful images of the temple throughout the different times of the day.

The temple opens up at 6.30 am and is open until 12 pm. It reopens at 4 pm and then closes at 9 pm. Morning Timings for Friday, Saturday and Sunday are extended till 1 pm.

The temple is one of the most famous temples in Chennai and is on the shoreline of Elliots beach. The Ashtalakshmi Temple is dedicated to the Lakshmi goddess and her eight different forms. It is said that Lakshmi Goddess emerged from the sea and therefore the temple was constructed facing towards the sea as the sea is known as the birthplace of the goddess. You will be able to get more detailed history about the Ashtalakshmi Temple when you reach the destination and know the facts.
    The temple structure is 65ft in lengthwise and 45 ft in the breath.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Karanveer! Welcome to the forum!

The Ashtalakshmi Temple is open for darshan from 6:30 am up to 12:00 pm. Then, for the evening darshan, it's from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm. During Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, the darshan can be extended up to 1:00 pm. But for visitors, the Ashtalakshmi Temple is open from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, everyday of the week.

The Ashtalakshmi Temple is also called as the Ashtalakshmi Kovil. It lies on the shoreline near the Elliot's Beach in Chennai. This temple has some resemblance to the Perumal Temple in Tirukoshtiyur in Sivaganga District. It was built on the wishes of Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati Mahaswamiji. It was consecrated on the year 1976 in the presence of the 44th guru, Ahobila Mutt Vedhantha Dhesika Yatheendhra Mahadhesikan Swami.

The Ashtalakshmi Temple is dedicated to Goddess Lakshmi and her eight forms. Her eight manifestations are: Santaana Lakshmi (Goddess of Children), Gaja Lakshmi (Goddess of Luck), Dhana Lakshmi (Goddess of Wealth), Dhaanya Lakshmi (Goddess of Food), Vijaya Lakshmi (Goddess of Victory), Dhairya Lakshmi (Goddess of Courage), Adi Lakshmi (Goddess of Health) and Vidya Lakshmi (Goddess of Education). This is the only temple featuring her eight manifestations in the country.

Within the chief temple complex, there are shrines dedicated to the Lord Guruvayurappan, Lord Ganapathi and Lord Hanuman. There are also three festivals held here: Navratri, Deepavali and Pongal during which devotees all over the country visit the temple.

The temple is a blend of Dravidian and contemporary styles of architecture. It has five tiers, with intricate stone works in them. On the first tier, there is the image of Adi Lakshmi. On the other side, there's the images of Dhaanya Lakshmi and Dhairya Lakshmi. The second tier have the Santaana Lakshmi, Gaja Lakshmi and Vijaya Lakshmi. The fourth tier has the image of Dhana Lakshmi.

I hope this helps.:)