1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auli

Discussion in 'North India' started by SurajBali, Apr 17, 2016.

1. SurajBali

SurajBali New Member

Hello, fellow forum members. I have joined this forum to find out about Auli, which is a destination I have only recently heard about a lot.
    I am curious to know more about Auli and know whether it worth is visiting. I have very briefly read a description of Auli and so far all I know it is a ski destination with less crowd than places like Shimla or Manali.

Here a few simple questions which I would like answered to find out more about Auli.

1. Is Auli only a ski destination?

2. Are there more activities other than skiing?

3. Between which months should we visit Auli during the summer season?

4. Will we still get to see snow in the summer months?

5. Are there any short duration treks for beginners in Auli?

6. Are there any lakes in Auli, something suitable for a picnic?

7. If we do decide to have a try at skiing, is skiing equipment easily available on rent there?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Do you consider snowboarding and sledding different from skiing? Because those options are also available. Add to that cross-country skiing. But of course there is taking in nature, hiking, hot tubs under the stars. There are lakes, too, but I am not familiar with them. And, there are plenty of rental shops for equipment. Of course, if you have your own, that is always better.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

Auli is a ski destination in the Himalayan Mountains of Uttarakhand. It is also known as Auli Bugyal, which means meadow. Auli is about 2,500 metres to 3,050 metres above sea level. It is located in the Chamoli district, before you reach Badrinath. There's an annual winter sports competition here conducted by the Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam Limited (GMVNL) and the Uttarakhand Tourism Department to promote tourism and skiing in the region.

Although Ali is known as a ski destination, it has more to offer than that alone. There are places that you can visit like peaks and bodies of waters. Here are some of the best attractions in Auli:
    • Gurso Bugyal - This is about 3 kms from the city centre of Auli. It is about 3,056 metres above sea level. It is a meadow speed over oaks and coniferous forests. From the top, you can view the Nanda Devi, Trishul and Dron Parvat peaks. There are no accommodations nor eateries on top so you need to do the trek for a day only or you can bring your own food and have a picnic at the top.
    • Kwani Bugyal - This is about 13 kms from Auli. Its elevation is 3,380 metres above sea level. From its peak, you can view the Nanda Devi and Dunagiri Mountains closer. You can do this trek with Gurso Bugyal as they're located quite closely to each other.
    • Chenab Lake - This small crystalline lake is near Joshimath, reachable through Dang Village. The lake is surrounded by oaks and deodars all around. The path to reach the lake is quite treacherous as there are no laid roads. But you would be rewarded once you reach the lake, with its serenity and untouched beauty.
    • Auli Artificial Lake - This is the world's highest manmade lake, located next to the Clifftop Club. This lake was created to help extend the skiing season. The water from the lake is used to feed the snow guns stationed along the ski slopes. This in turn helps in smoothing out the skiing surface for guests.
    • Chattrakund - This is about 4 kms from Auli. This is a small, sweet water lake surrounded by dense pines. It's a great place for a picnic and the atmosphere here is very serene as well. You can also include this in your trek from Gurso Bugyal as it's just one km away from it.
    • Trishul Peak - This is the place where skiing is done in Auli. But aside from skiing, the Nanda Devi National Park is also located here. Another place to visit here is the Roopkund Lake, where about 600 skeletons and humans were found.
    Yes, there are plenty more of activities that you can do in Auli, aside from skiing. These are the following activities:
    • Trekking - I've mentioned the different peaks above like Gurso Bugyal, Kwani Bugyal and Trishul Peak and these are the easier treks that you can try. Then, some more difficult treks are also available like the Auli Kuari Trek.
    • Cable Car - For those who doesn't like the idea of skiing or trekking to see the views in Auli, you can try riding the cable car. It stretches for about four kms and the views from above are stunning. The Auli Ropeway is the second longest in Asia, after the one in Gulmarg. You can opt for either the chair lift or the ski lift. The ride is about 15 to 20 minutes long and is about 1,110 metres above sea level. The price is about Rs. 750 per person for the cable car. The chair lift is a bit cheaper at Rs. 350 per person. The ski lift is at Rs. 100 to Rs. 300 per person.
    Other winter activities like snow scootering and snowboarding can also be done in Auli.

During summer season, you can visit Auli between March to June. Temperatures range between 14°C to 18°C during this time. It is very pleasant and cool suitable for sightseeing. By the first week of March, you get to experience snow and you can partake in various winter activities. From April to May, you can visit the lakes as by this time, snow has melted around them. Make sure you pack your sweaters and woollens as the nights can get chilly, especially if you come from a lower region.

Yes, especially during the early weeks of March and April. The earlier in the summer you go, the better, so you can see snow in Auli. By the end of April, snow would still be there but it isn't as fresh nor is it suitable for winter sports.

There are short treks for beginners in Auli. I've mentioned them above but I'll mention them again with some details:
    • Gurso Bugyal - This is a short trek, about 3 kms, from Auli. You can finish the trek within a few hours and enjoy the views of the snow-capped mountains from the peak.
    • Kwani Bugyal - This is a 14 kms trek from Auli. It's also easy as compared to other treks with these distances. You can do the Gurso Bugyal and Kwani Bugyal trek together as they're fairly easy and located within each other.
    • Auli Kuari Trek - This trek is about 20 kms and can take you a few days to complete. There's also some ascent included in the trek so it's moderately difficult. You'd pass through snow laden paths and some rough terrains along the way. But overall, even a beginner can do this trek.
    I've mentioned this as well, there are many lakes that you can visit in Auli like the Chenab Lake, Auli Artificial Lake and Chattrakund.

Yes, skiing equipments are available in Auli. Here are their rates:
    • Rate for Shoes, Skis and Poles - Rs. 500 per person
    • Rate for Snow Board - Rs. 700 per person
    • Rate for Clothes - Rs. 500 per person
    They also offer courses:
    • Day Course - Rs. 1,000
    • Five Day Course - Rs. 11,000
    • Ten Day Course - Rs. 22,000
    • Group Course - Rs. 19,000
    I hope this helps.

:)