1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auroville - A Guide To This Experimental Township?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by FloydMan, Sep 21, 2015.

1. FloydMan

FloydMan New Member

I've been reading about Auroville for the past few weeks and am absolutely determined to check the place out.
    I love the idea of gaining some new spiritual experiences on a vacation to a new place.
    But, there aren't too many guides on how does one become a member of the township, their packages. As it is, some of the experiences seem a little sketchy from what I've come across.
    Anyone here recommend this place for a 4 day getaway?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It is too pricey for my liking but if you have the money then why not.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

Auroville is an experimental township, its ideology is that it's a place for people to live their dreams. It's a place to let go of your past life and embrace who you want to be, even if it's just for a few days. You really cannot enjoy staying in Auroville if it's just for a day. You would need at least a few days to a week to fully understand the town itself.

As an outsider, you would need to pay about Rs 100 per day during your duration in Auroville. If you live on a guesthouse, you would need to ask the staff if it's already included in your lodging. But some guesthouses don't include it, so it's safer to just ask.

Sadly, your internet connection on your phone won't work in the town. But you can opt to pay about Rs 25 per hour for wifi in the cafes and bars in the town.

Then, you can decide where you want to volunteer for. There's different areas where you can volunteer:

• The Buddha Garden where you can learn about sustainable farming.
    • Sadhana Forest for rehabilitating forests.
    Anyway, you can visit their site for more information. But these are the basic information that you need to know. It's up to you really if it's worth the cost. Keep in mind that you'd also have to pay for food and these volunteer areas have a set amount of fee as well.

Good luck!