1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ayurvedic Recipes?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sandy, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Sandy

Sandy Guest

What are the best ayurvedic recipes for someone interested in this cooking method and just getting started? I am fascinated by this ancient tradition that is over 5,000 years old and still going strong. I feel that it is a tried and true method. If one is traveling to India, where are the best places to experience authentic cooking and recipes in the ayurvedic tradition. I have come across pretty simple recipes that are sworn to be effective. For example, one such recipe is to thoroughly wash a bunch of methi leaves in water. Then boil them down and add lemon and pepper. Then blend it in a high powered blender (such as a Vitamix). Drinking this mixture regularly is said to be good for hair, skin, and nails. Since ayurveda is a tradition that goes as far back as the days of ancient Egypt, I am interested to see what other recipes and even restaurants exist now.

2. Amelie

Amelie New Member

I "dabble" in ayurveda and yoga (my apologies - I hope I don't offend anyone!), meaning I find it fascinating and promising, but I don't have the discipline to fully immerse myself in it. Recently, I took up oil pulling again, and I'm loving the results, but that's not a recipe. In terms of food, I've only done the really basic, no-cook ones - like snacking on almonds and avocado, and drinking ginger tea. I also found this detox tea recipe that I'm planning to try this week: ginger, turmeric, fennel, cumin, coriander, and green tea. Boil them all together for five minutes, then enjoy. :)