1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Places to Visit in Kerala

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by Travel Freak, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Travel Freak

Travel Freak New Member

Kerala is known as Gods own Country and it is a places where many tourists to see culture, tradition and the tropical beauty of the place. Kerala is famous for the intricate temples and not to miss the very popular backwaters.

Kumarakom
    Kumarakom is a village which is a set of islands on the Vembanad Lake. Kumarakom is best known as a backwater destination and is popular among tourists from around the world. Houseboats are available for the backwaters as well as independent cottages which have been built on stilts.
    There is also a very large bird sanctuary there which is 14 acres in size, and when visiting the sanctuary you will be able to see variety of birds like herons, water fowls and birds which migrate from Siberia. When visiting Kumarakom do not forget to see the wood carvings and the Shiva Temple at Ettuman.

Alleppey (Alappuzha)
    Alleppey also known as Alappuzha is the main hub of the backwaters in Kerala and also has beautiful beaches, lagoons and paddy fields, again it is popular with tourists from India and abroad and there are Alleppy day cruises that are very popular. Alleppey is quite different from Kumarakom, as Allepey is located near the town and provides near enough all facilities where as Kumarakom is a small rural village. Alleppey holds around a thousand houseboats

Munnar
    Something different from the backwaters is a hill station Munnar, which is the most popular hill station in South India. The hill station is situated between three rivers. The hill station is famous for its tree plantation, especially tea farms. Munnar also has alot of trekking and hiking routes which is something that also attracts tourists, and making it an ideal destination for people.

Wayanad
    Wayand is known as the land of paddy fields and is in the north east part of Kerala. Wayand is a quiet and serene location which full of greenery and wildlife and mostly visited during the summer. Something else which Wayand is famously known for its tribal heritage and agriculture. Wayand is a destination Kerala which has a lot of alluring locations which includes banasura sagar dam, Wayand wildlife santuary, Lakkidi, Edakkal Caves and much more.

MarySeba likes this.

2. turtledove

turtledove Member

Fort Kochi is a great attraction in Kerala. It's some really incredible architecture, and I would definitely recommend going to take a look. Another great Kerala activity is boating. There are also a few hotels near the Kerala backwaters (so they're called), and it's one of the most peaceful things to do if you visit the area. You can even get fresh Indian food on the boats!
    The Periyar National Park is also a very popular tourist attraction. Although I haven't been myself, many of my friends have strongly recommended it to me.

Chahal likes this.

3. Shanaya

Shanaya New Member

Padmanabhaswamy Temple is certainly an eye candy for those willing to experience the long forgotten civilization of Indian society. This temple is located in Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala) and is dedicated to the Hindu god Vishnu, who is better known as the preserver in the triumvirate. For getting into this temple , men are supposed to dress up in Indian traditional "Dhoti", while women dress up in "Saare". This temple is known to be home to gold worth Rs 1,00,000 Crores, making it rich in fame and culture altogether.
    The temple is surrounded by many shops where u can get freshly made Banana Chips cooked in pure coconut oil, thus nurturing it with great effervescence and taste.

4. kokosflocken

kokosflocken New Member

You totally need to check out the Azhikode beach. The sunset there is really something else.

5. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Thanks for reminding me of that amazing beach. I had been to Azhikode twice and it was a very pleasant experience for me. I think it is one of the most beautiful beaches in Kerala. The main thing that attracted me is the availability of vast area at our disposal, truly a lot of space to hang out. The presence of trees made this beach more beautiful. The view of the sunset is really relaxing.

I really wish to visit this place again in future. There is something special about this beach that tempt me to visit again.

6. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I think it is a nice place to visit and my relatives went to a wedding of a couple and enjoyed the hospitality which was welcoming and got to taste new dishes and enjoyed the time they were in this part of the country, it was a cooler weather which made the trip enjoyable and also nice as well for tourists to experience. I reckon that people can enjoy the city of Kerala and the rivers are nice to look at and the way they flow is interesting and you can see nature in the work, and city which has many traditions and can be good to learn about the history of the place. The caves I saw in the pictures are amazing and also will go sometime in the next year and see what it is like and go with friends and family, so I don't go lonely in the trip and enjoy my time which will be interesting to see and learn more about the gods and how the people view them as sacred.

7. Aliya_Sinha

Aliya_Sinha New Member

Pathiramanal is also a great place to visit. This is the best season to visit the place, as in this season (Nov-Feb), migratory birds take shelter here. Visit this for sure..

8. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Is Kannya Kumari in Kerala? I have been told that Kannya Kumari is worshiped as Virgin Marry by the Christians and Kumari the Virgin Goddess by the Hindus. I hear that Kerala is also famous destination for health tourism. One of the major attractions of Kerala is backwater.If I am in Kerala, I will make sure to check the places recommended here.

9. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

No . Kanya Kumari is in Tamil Nadu. But it is worth noting that Kanyakumari is only about 91 Kilometers away from Thiruvananthapuram. It is a single highway and is just a 3 hour trip from Thiruvananthapuram. Highly recommended tourist location. I recommend reaching Kanyakumari before Sunset to enjoy the Sunset, halt in Kanyakumari for the night, wake up early in the morning and enjoy the Sunrise and then head elsewhere.

Chahal likes this.
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Kumarakom sounds like a place I would like to visit. I like the idea of staying in a houseboat, getting to know the locals, and visiting the Shiva Temple.

11. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

It is a great idea. It was around Rs.4500-5000 when we had visited for a family of two and a child. I think it is worth the money you pay for. Only concern was that the food in the houseboat was very terrible. You might want to get something packed from the hotel of your choice. I don't recommend the food on the houseboat.
    Do try to go to Alleppy as well. Great place.

12. Mindy

Mindy Member

For some reason, I don't think of "tropical beauty" when I think of India. I think more of arid deserts. This sounds very enchanting, and I will have to look up these locations for future trips.

13. JKewe

JKewe New Member

I would love to visit some tea farms. Are they open to tourists? Can you learn about tea there? Are there such things as tea tastings?

14. Peter

Peter New Member

What a great guide. I have learned so much here. After reading this guide I have decided that we might visit a few of these places. It was nice that you supplied all this information.

15. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Munnar is very beautiful. The tea fields are wonderful, especially at the right time of season. It is a great location if you like walks, and the outdoors. However, it may be too rural for most travelers.

16. perfectguy

perfectguy New Member

According to me, you should visit these five top most famous places to visit in Kerala.As I am an Indian and I have visited these all five places and I think all these are fabulous places if you go there then you will be completely amazed to see the natural beauty of these places and how the environment is evergreen and so beautiful.You will be really amazed to visit these:
    1.Tea Gardens (Munnar)
    2.Kerela Backwaters
    3.Athirappilly Waterfalls
    4.Varkala Beach
    and,
    5.Wonderla Amusement Park

17. rajesh

rajesh Member

There are many places to visit in Kerela but the most amazing places in my opinion are:

Gavi- Gavi is one of the most amazing and beautiful places I have ever visited. It is the place of natural beauty and on that place, I realized the beautifulness of the eco-system. The forests, the waterfalls, they all caught my mind.

Thenmala - Just like Gavi, this place is the best place for a nature enthusiast. You will be able to see forests, waterfalls, insects, etc. Just visit this place and you will be really impressed.

Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary
    - Established in 1973, this sanctuary is one of the best sanctuaries I have ever visited. You will be amazed to see the diverse wildlife creatures (especially tigers) and forests.

18. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Would you know of any good hotels near Gavi? I looked at some pictures, and it is such a marvelous location. I have always loved waterfalls, and think they are one of the greatest natural features to find in the wilderness. A good hotel, preferably an eco-hotel would be an excellent location to serve as a base while exploring this area.

19. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I love the lists in this thread! I would like to post my favorite places in Kerala as well:
    • Kovalam. Even before Kerala was known as a tourist spot, the Kovalam beach was already popular as a beach destination. It has pristine waters and has a crescent shaped beach.
    • Bekal Fort. This has been the background for many Indian films. And understandably so, with its ancient beauty and magnificent architecture, anyone would fall in love with it.
    • Malampuzha. Nature lovers would love to visit this place. It's green, picturesque and overall, a delight to visit.
    • Periyar Wildlife in Thekkady. Lions, elephants and tigers reside in this wildlife reserve. There's a lot more but these are top ones that I love about Kerala.
    There's a lot more but these are my top favorite places in Kerala.:)

20. kootlefoosh

kootlefoosh New Member

You guys need to help me out, I am drawing a blank regarding the name of a certain kind of temple that Kerala is famous for. There, they have large processions that include decorated elephants and many different kinds of drums, one of which is renowned for being able to produce all the sounds of the human voice. What is the name of this drum and what is the name of this kind of temple?

21. Shiv

Shiv Member

Kerala is a diverse and captivating destination with an abundance of natural beauty and cultural heritage. While the post you mentioned offers great recommendations, there are several lesser-known gems in Kerala that are worth exploring. Here are a few additional places to consider:

1. Vagamon: Vagamon is a serene hill station in Kerala's Idukki district. It's known for its lush green meadows, pine forests, and cool climate. The landscape is perfect for trekking and paragliding. The picturesque Vagamon Pine Forest and Thangal Para are must-visit spots.

2. Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary: While Wayanad is known, its wildlife sanctuary often gets overshadowed. It's a haven for nature lovers, offering the chance to spot elephants, leopards, and various bird species. The Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary and Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary within Wayanad are great for wildlife safaris.

3. Kottayam: Kottayam, often called the "Land of Letters, Latex, and Lakes," is less crowded compared to some other Kerala destinations. You can explore the backwaters, visit the Ettumanoor Mahadeva Temple, and discover the charming town of Kumarakom.

4. Marari Beach: Marari Beach is a hidden gem on the Malabar Coast. It's a peaceful alternative to the more crowded beaches of Kerala. The area is known for its fishing villages, tranquil beaches, and Ayurvedic treatments.

5. Silent Valley National Park: Silent Valley is a remote and pristine national park in the Palakkad district. It's a biodiversity hotspot with unique flora and fauna. The park is perfect for trekkers and nature enthusiasts.

6. Muzhappilangad Drive-In Beach: Unlike the famous Kovalam and Varkala beaches, Muzhappilangad offers a unique experience. It's one of the few drive-in beaches in India, where you can take your vehicle right onto the beach and enjoy the waves.

7. Malampuzha Dam: Located near Palakkad, Malampuzha Dam is an ideal place for a day trip. It features a beautiful garden, amusement park, and a scenic reservoir.

8. Thrissur: Thrissur is famous for its cultural heritage, but it often doesn't get as much attention as cities like Kochi and Trivandrum. The Vadakkunnathan Temple and the Thrissur Pooram festival are cultural highlights.
    These lesser-known destinations in Kerala offer unique experiences and a chance to explore the state's natural beauty and culture without the crowds often found in more touristy areas.