1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to go to Kashmir

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by Aurora, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Aurora

Aurora New Member

What is the best season to visit Kashmir if I want to see some snow? I can't seem to find any accurate information on the web. Any ideas?

2. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

If you want to see snow in Kashmir, consider traveling to Kashmir during the winter (November through February). You can see snow in Kashmir even during summer, however, you need to travel to the Himalayas in Kashmir.

3. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

In my opinion Winter i.e. from (November to January) is the best season to visit kashmir in order to see snow.

4. The winter will obviously be the best time to see snow, but it will also be very cold generally and if you are not used to it then you will not enjoy it. I will suggest to go in summer so that you can beat the summer heat; you can find snow if you go higher up the himalayas. It will be an awesome trekking experience and in the end when you will see the snow you will feel wonderful.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The best season to visit Kashmir for snow is during the winter season. This extends from the months of December to March. This is the time when the entire valley is covered by pure, white blankets of snow. It's also not unusual to experience snowfall in the area. At its peak, usually at the end of December and beginning of January, you'll find thicker snow in many areas. It's the perfect time for snow activities as well like skiing, snow boarding and of course, tobogganing. Be prepared to bring your thickest clothes though as temperatures go beyond zero at times.

Pahalgam is one region in Kashmir that has quite a thick blanket of snow in winter. It's situated at about 8,957 feet above sea level. Because of its location, the view from here is quite amazing, with the snow-capped mountains and the riverside view. Skiing is also a major activity here during the winter.

Another one is Gulmarg which is said to be the best place in India to see snow. The world's highest cable car, the Gondola, can also be found here. It's quite mesmerising to ride it and witness the snow-covered valley below you. During peak season though, this is a major tourist destination so you need to book your tickets for the Gondola in advance. Snow activities like skiing and snowboarding can also be done here during the winter season.

Srinagar is one of the most famous destinations in Kashmir during winter. It also snows here during the winter. You can even stay in houseboats here to enjoy living nearby the lake.

Lastly, there's Patnitop which is also covered with snow during the winter season. Skiing here is perfect for beginners as the slopes are milder and gentler. Nathatop is also another famous attraction in Patnitop with the plethora of adventure activities you can do here like paragliding and trekking.

I hope this helps!