1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buses from Coimbatore to Kodaikanal

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Power Ranger, May 27, 2016.

1. Power Ranger

Power Ranger New Member

I will be visiting Coimbatore in the first week of June to attend a friend's wedding. As Kodaikanal is not too far away from Coimbatore (around 170 KM according to Google maps), we are planning for a short trip to this beautiful hill station while returning. Is it feasible to do so? If yes, then is there any direct bus service from Coimbatore to Kodaikanal? Also let me know the approximate fare and journey duration. Thanks much.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

It is quite feasible to travel to Kodaikanal from Coimbatore. However, you won't get any luxury buses like Volvo and sleeper coaches. State-run TNSTC is the only bus operator in this route and you will have to travel in ordinary buses.

Ukkadam Bus Stand in Coimbatore is the place to board Kodaikanal bound buses. On an average, TNSTC operates 4-5 trips in Coimbatore-Kodaikanal route. The journey takes around 5 hours as the last 50-60 KM is through Ghat section. I am not sure about the exact fare, but it should be around INR 150-200.

Another option to reach Kodaikanal from Coimbatore is via Palani. There are lots of buses for going to Palani from Coimbatore. You need to change the bus at Palani and board another bus to Kodaikanal. Palani-Kodaikanal route has more frequent bus service compared to Coimbatore-Kodaikanal route. You will surely get a Kodaikanal-bound bus from Palani Bus Stand once in every 30-45 minutes.

Bus journey from Coimbatore to Kodaikanal can be uncomfortable, especially if you are not used to traveling in this type of buses. If budget is not a concern, then I think hiring a taxi would be a better option. You can get a taxi from Coimbatore to Kodaikanal for around INR 2500-3000, if you can bargain well.

Regards,
    Deb