1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Anyone Explain The Colors?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by jnorth88, Mar 3, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

So, India has a lot of color. I love the painted temples, the artwork, and the patterns and design present throughout the country. But I was wondering if I was missing any significance to the choices. Especially when it comes to religious buildings or iconography, the colors are very contrasting, bright, and simple. They are not like in other regions. Is there anyone who knows more about this topic?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Here is what I know:
    • Red. This colour symbolises fire for the Indians. It is also associated with Durga - a revered goddess in Hindu mythology. She has red eyes and red tongue, symbolising the fire in red. And lastly, red is the preferred colour for brides in India as well. The bride is dressed in bright hues plus there's a red dot on her forehead, connoting that she's committed now.
    • Blue. This colour is connoted with Lord Krishna.
    • Green. It symbolises harvest and happiness. It's more of a colour related to nature and therefore, to God as well.
    • Black. Connotes evil and negativity.
    • White. The colour that widows wear to show their disconnection to material things and pleasures.