1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I Take Small Kids To Leh?

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by Shivi, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shivi

Shivi New Member

My husband and I want to plan a family holiday with our two kids aged 5 and 7 years to Leh in the months of June/July. We know that there are low oxygen levels in Leh, but how safe is it for kids to visit?

Are small kids likely to get any problems when in Leh?

What is the ideal age for kids to be in Leh?

If it is safe to visit Leh, how many days would you recommend staying there?

2. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

In my opinion there is no problem taking your kids with you but keep some warm clothes with you. It depends upon you how much days you stay there.

3. Deven

Deven Member

It is ok to take kids to Leh, but if they are over 3 years of age. Even if you are taking kids who are above 2 years of age, you should still consult a doctor before you finalize your trip.

When in Leh you should spend at least 7 days there in order to explore the place.

4. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I don't see why there should be any problem, kids have weaker immune systems so you should at least give them the necessary medical interventions before you go on your trip, such as vaccinations and other precautions. Make sure they also get enough sunscreen, and mosquito repellent, so they wouldn't be able to contract any illnesses while on the road and make sure they can enjoy themselves without worrying about the potential to be sick during the travels through the different areas.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

From what I've read, infants aged three months and below aren't allowed to be taken for travel in places with low or high altitudes. Personally, I'd prefer it if my kid is at least three years old before taking him or her to Leh. The problem with bringing smaller kids who cannot communicate their needs is that you won't be able to know if he or she is suffering any problems already. If the kid is at least three years old, then he or she would be able to tell you if something is wrong or if he or she is having problems.

Always take into account your child's health condition. Are they problematic kids when it comes to health? Did they suffer from any breathing problems as a kid? Or were they born prematurely or with any other condition which might affect their immunity and resistance?

Here's a few guidelines to follow if you're travelling to Leh with kids:

• Have a checkup with their paediatrician before the trip. Mae sure they're fit and healthy enough for the trip.
    • Carry all possible medications they might need, cough meds, cold meds or fever meds.
    • Make sure to hydrate your kids enough, but not too much. Food is okay as well, but don't force them if they don't want to. The oxygen level in Leh is quite low which means digestion might take place longer. I think powdered milk is a life saver, it hydrates them and gives them enough nutrient as well.
    • Always be observant of your kid, take note of their colour or if they're experiencing breathing problems.
    Generally, your kids' ages are fine for a trip in Leh. But still make sure to follow these guidelines and bring lots of little snacks for the trip. I hope this helps! Take care and have fun on your trip!

P.S.

I think five days to seven days would be enough. Always allot at least one day for acclimatisation in Leh.

Chahal likes this.