Can Men Share Rooms?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Startlet245, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Startlet245

Startlet245 New Member

Someone asked me this the other day after i mentioned my plans to travel in India. I have never thought abut this topic as it doesn't apply to me.

Luckily the days when a male-female pair would have to produce a marriage certificate to share a room are long gone, though it can still be hard to get hotels to accept I want a twin bed room when I travel with a man.

Would a male couple of friend pair have any problems getting a room to share?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Hotels dont care if you are two males sharing a room. Lots of male friends travel together and stay in same room so it won't be the first time they would see two males staying in the same room.

pwarbi likes this.

3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I would hope that this is not really an issue, but then again it really depends on where you are. I would think that the most you might get is a strange look here or there though, and nothing really substantial. I know that when we traveled there there were a bunch of different combinations of people in our group who were staying in all rooms with different people and we did not encounter any issues.

4. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

Thankfully, this doesn't really seem to be an issue anymore, at least not anywhere that I've traveled. It seems to be a lot more accepting for two males to share a room than it is for an unmarried male and female to do so.

5. Geena

Geena New Member

There's certainly not a problem with having two guys sharing the same room or even two girls sharing the same room really. In fact, it's quite common actually. They would simply think that your friends are friends and that's pretty much all there will be to it. I would tell your friends not to worry at all.

6. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

Yes, it seems that a lot of people get too into their own heads when they think about this type of thing. Other countries are used to having tourists and they've seen every type of sleeping and travelling arrangement. Just don't worry and enjoy your stay.

7. juno

juno New Member

In India, it's not a big deal for male friends to share a room. As a matter of fact, I traveled to India with my husband, but I still go by my maiden name on my passport, and the hotels did not question anything.

8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Pretty sure it wouldn't an issue. You guys are tourists who want to save a little money by sharing rooms, not beds. The hotel people won't mind one bit, trust me. I think it's more of an issue like you said if it's between a man and a woman, but it's 2016, so those days are long gone. But if the hotel doesn't allow it, you can always find another hotel to stay in that can accommodate you two. There are lots of hotels especially in big cities, I don't see you guys having problems with finding one that will suit your needs.

9. TyCole8

TyCole8 New Member

The Western culture is very modern in its culture. However, you would be surprised at how open minded countries that are very traditional in their traditions are. I shared a room with my two other guy friends and we had no problem booking rooms at local inns. I feel that even though people in India are very set in their customs, they have great understanding of people who come from different beliefs. Everyone there seemed more than happy to help us acquaint us with our travel experience.

10. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

Hotels never ask for your marriage certificate and they do not even care who you are travelling with. I traveled with my girlfriend(now wife) to several places and never faced any such problems. The hotel people understand their boarders and they do not create unnecessary fuss. But for couple below 18, it is a bit difficult to get a room in a decent hotel.

11. cardinals27

cardinals27 New Member

I do not think this would be a problem. If two male friends share a room I don't think they would say anything. Even though some parts of the country are are not as modern as others I doubt you would have a problem at any decent hotel.

12. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

A news story I saw in 2015 said that India had (at that time) outlawed homosexuality. I don't if the law was amended. Nonetheless it doesn't matter who share your room with. In fact these days there's even an app which allows you to share your room with strangers. Any strangers, so you can save some money. A little too risky I think as you won't know who your room mate will be.

13. djtravels

djtravels Member

Like others have already said, no one would actually care about sexual preferences of men or women. Hotels care about giving out a room, not about other things.

14. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

There is no problem sharing a room with a male partner as long as you have travelled before and shared rooms before. I have never heard of rules controlling the same but I know that you can. What if you are travelling with your brother or close relative? As long as you obey the rules and laws and then you will be set to enjoy your travelling.