1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chandratal

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Nimesh, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Nimesh

Nimesh New Member

I am going Himachal Pradesh to the Lahul Spiti area next weekend, and I would like to know more about the
    Chandratal.

What exactly is Chandratal (all I know is that it is a lake, anything more)?

Is Chandratal known by any other names?

Is this only accessible by trekkers?

If it is only accessible by trekking, is it worth visiting?

If I do visit Chandratal, please give your advice and inputs so it will be useful when I visit the place.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

That is exactly what it is, a lake. The lake got its name because it was crescent shaped or shaped like the moon. It is about 2.5 kms wide and is located in Himachal Pradesh. More exactly, it is in the Spiti and Lahaul District in Himachal Pradesh.

It goes by many names, Chandra Taal, Chandra Tal, Chander Taal and Moon Lake.

You can reach the place by driving, biking or just walking. The route can be a bit challenging but it's not impossible even for beginners to traverse it. You would also have to pass through waters at some parts of the journey. Be careful as these waters can be violent and strong at times.

Yes! It's definitely worth visiting despite the difficulties you might encounter. You would be amazed seeing the reflections of the Himalayas in the lake's clear blue waters. Once you reach the lake, it would be all worth it, the dangers and sweats you encountered.

Here's a few suggestions I can give you:
    • Visit during July to August as these are the months that roads are mostly clear.
    • Use shoes with powerful grips.
    • Try to bring any wooden stick for slippery roads.
    • Wear snow or waterproof clothing.
    • Bring a water bottle filled with water.
    I hope this helps!