1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child Born in India to UK Citizen

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Himani, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Himani

Himani New Member

I am a UK citizen who is married to an Indian citizen, and I am also currently living. I will soon be due with my first baby, and wondering what would the baby be a UK citizen or Indian citizen?

Would it be possible for my baby to get a British passport although it would be born in India?

If my baby can get a British passport, is there a lot of hassle in the procedure of applying the passport for someone who is born in India?

Would my baby still be titled to facilities for Indian nationals when he or she is older?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Under the Citizenship Act of 1955, Section 3:

"A person born in India on or after 3rd December, 2004 is considered citizen of India by birth if both the parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India and the other is not an illegal migrant at the time of his birth."

Since your baby will be born in India, then he or she isn't a British or UK Citizen.

Yes, you could still get a British Passport even though your baby will be born in India.

You would need the following requirements:
    • British passport of British parent
    • Marriage certificate
    • Baby's local municipal birth certificate
    • Mother's delivery discharge summary from hospital she gave birth in
    • Mother's medical reports during the pregnancy
    • Family photographs
    • Vaccination card of baby
    You would need to apply in the nearest British Embassy near you. It takes 4 to 6 months before you can be approved for a passport.

Well, India doesn't really allow dual citizenship, so does the UK. So you'd have to choose which nationality you want the best for your baby as he cannot have both. If you decide for an Indian nationality, then yes, he can still have privileges set only for Indian citizens.

I hope this helps!