Curry

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by JoJo, Jan 20, 2016.

1. JoJo

JoJo New Member

Every recipe I have read of an Indian nature contains curry. I happen not to like curry. Are there native recipes that don't contain curry?

2. hellotraveler

hellotraveler Member

You're in luck! I was researching this exact thing yesterday! I'm okay with eating curry in dishes, but I wasn't too enthusiastic about having to eat it everyday. I went looking for some of the other dishes I might be able to eat while traveling out there to kind of change it up a little, and I found this list of non-curry dishes from houston press back in 2013. Here's the link to it if you want to check it out for a brief list of dishes that are not that spicy or are without curry entirely: Here, Eat This: A Beginner's Guide to Indian Cuisine

3. Shaka

Shaka New Member

I know a lot of people who don't like curry. Maybe it's the way the food is prepared. I had a few curry dishes that I didn't much like either. But for the most part I love curry and especially curry dishes with coconut milk.

4. Kira

Kira Guest

In some dishes the curry is so mild you can barely taste it. In others it is very overpowering. Those are the ones I try to stay away from. Thanks for the link hellotraveler. I think I'll try to prepare some of these before my trip so I'll know what to expect.

5. Nita

Nita New Member

I have tried many different curry dishes. Some of the dishes use a lot of curry and it seems to overpower the taste of the food. I love curry, but not like that.

6. Andre

Andre New Member

I have seen some recipes that people don't use curry. I'm sure not all dishes in India contain curry. Although, I do love curry so this one won't bother me too much. But then there are people who just don't like it at all.

7. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Indian food consists of rice, bread and mix of both which is normally eaten with curry. Indian curry is made from chicken, fish, egg or vegetables. However, there are many dishes that can be eaten without curry. You can eat samosa, pakoda with sauce or chutney.

8. JoJo

JoJo New Member

Samosas sound wonderful Vinaya. They sound much like Perogies. The sauce sounds good too. I'll bet it could be used on other things besides Samosas.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Baingan Bharta is a dish that they have at my local Indian restaurant - it's basically just eggplant, tomatoes, onion, garlic and some spices. It's super flavorsome despite not being a traditional curry.

10. Andre

Andre New Member

I do love chutney. I had the pleasure of eating some fresh papaya chutney a friend of my prepared. It as delicious mixed with rice and chicken. The chutney can be made hot and spice or mild. I think I liked the hot and spicy chutney better than I did the mild chutney.