1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dalhousie to Dharamshala

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by NoniLal, Oct 3, 2016.

1. NoniLal

NoniLal New Member

I am going to Dalhousie for five days with the family and from there I wish to proceed towards Dharamshala. I have not been towards Dharamshala before so have done some research and found that there are two routes for this journey.

1. Dalhousie - Chamba - Chowari - Sihunta - Shahpur - Gaggal - Dharamshala

2. Dalhousie - Tunuhatti - Lahru - Shahpur - Gaggal - Dharamshala

I need to know out of the two routes which one is better, road condition wise and view wise?

From what I remember I think Khajjiar also comes somewhere along the journey, but I am not too sure! Is it worth stopping in Khajjiar?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Out of these two routes, I would recommend the first one. You can even include Khajjiar in the route:
    • Dalhousie > Khajjiar > Jot > Chowari > Sihunta > Shahpur > Gaggal > Dharamshala.
    By altering the route, you won't have to pass through Chamba anymore. This is also the shorter route at about 146 kilometres. Whereas the other route you posted with Chamba is about 186 kilometres long. With this newer route, you can cover the distance in about 5 hours, more or less.

From Dalhousie to Khajjiar, road conditions are good. The route is very scenic as well and once you see the meadows, you know you're in Khajjiar already. You won't have a problem with this stretch and you'd reach the latter in under an hour.

From Khajjiar to Chowari, the roads can be very dangerous. You'd go through a pass or a jot in local language which has very narrow roads. The road is passable only for one vehicle at a time so you need to have some experience in hilly driving. If ever the need comes up, you need to back up so the other vehicle can pass through. But even if not, you still need to drive very carefully in this stretch.

From Chowari to Gaggal, roads are good again and mostly two lanes. Until you reach Dharamshala, it's a very scenic stretch and the landscapes are quite stunning. Roads are good although there would be some patches of bad stretches. But overall, an okay drive and it won't take you long to reach Dharamshala.

As far as Khajjiar is concerned, I think it's very much worth a visit. Dubbed as the Mini Switzerland of India, you know you're in for a treat once you're there. With the backdrop of the mountain ranges of Dhauladhar and with the sleepy meadows around, you won't regret visiting the place. If you're someone who enjoys nature and a laid-back destination, then Khajjiar would be perfect for you.

Attractions-wise, it doesn't have that many to keep you busy. Well, it has the Khajjiar Lake and the Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary, but beyond that, there's not much you can do here. If you are tired of the hustle and bustle of the city life though, Khajjiar is a perfect getaway for you. It has fresh air, lovely views and a peaceful atmosphere. It's just what you need for a rejuvenating vacation.

Do visit this thread for more information. I hope this helps you!