1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dance Workshops In India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Sandy, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Sandy

Sandy Guest

I was recently looking up info on retired Bollywood actress Madhuri Dixit, when I found that she now hosts her own dancing school in Mumbai. It's called Dance with Madhuri. This actress is well known for her dancing, probably the queen of dancing for her era and the 20th century. The courses seem to be taught in her native language and in English. And for those who can't make it to Mumbai, it looks like you can download online workshops to test it out. So my question is, has anyone done dance workshops as a foreigner while traveling in India? How would you describe your experience? Any experiences would be great if you can leave the description here. I know that some college students try bhangra, and there are other traditional dances as well. Is this hard to learn if it is not your native culture? Thanks in advance.

2. Annette

Annette Member

I haven't done any out-of-country traveling so I can't speak about the workshops from personal experience. They sound exciting, though! Did you happen to notice if it's expensive to attend one of her workshops?

3. Sandy

Sandy Guest

From what I recall, it couldn't have been more than a few hundred dollars per course. I think it's worth it specifically if you're into dance and do it as a serious hobby or for your profession. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity though, I think she's one of the remaining dancers of her kind and definitely a legend in the field. The cost seems pretty standard too, if you sign up for belly dance or flamingo workshops, for example, it probably adds up to the same thing. I hope if someone is interested they are able to sign up. Let us know how it goes!

4. Annette

Annette Member

I'll definitely look into this as a part of our vacation. I haven't studied dance professionally but it's been a hobby of mine for years now. Hopefully things will time out right so that I can attend or at least watch her dance while we are there.