1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi Air Pollution

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Aja, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Aja

Aja Member

I've always wanted to visit Delhi, but I'm a little concerned now. I read that it is the most polluted city in the world! What is it that causes such pollution? Is it even safe to be there?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Delhi's air is so polluted that even the Prime minister hardly ever stays at his government residence and is mostly on tours . Jokes apart, air is indeep very bad in Delhi but I dont think it would kill you if you just come for a few days. You will feel that choking feeling when you come out of the air craft when you land at Delhi airport.

Air quality is even worse in winters which is high season for tourists.

briannagodess likes this.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Delhi used to be the most polluted city in the world. But as of May 2016, according to a WHO report, this isn't the case anymore. Zabol (located in Iran) is now considered the most polluted city in the world. Delhi has moved down to the 11th spot which is good news. It actually ranks 11th among the 3,000 cities tested for air pollution by WHO. Specifically, these are Delhi's rankings:
    • 11th in terms of PM 2.5 or fine particulate pollution
    • 25th in terms of PM 10 or coarse pollution particles
    The government has pursued efforts to decrease pollution in Delhi which has paid off. Right now, there's an Air Policy action against trucks and other vehicles. But the important thing is that at least there's some improvement there.

Of course, the major causes of air pollution are:

• Too many vehicles
    • Too many diesel-fueler vehicles
    • The heating and cooling of large buildings
    • Improper waste management
    • The use of coal or diesel powered generators
    I'd say it's safe to visit Delhi still. It's only for a short time and you can always wear a mask to protect yourself.

I hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!

4. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

Well, the Delhi government has come up with Odd-Even experiment which yielded positive results. A number of measures like car pooling, encourage the use of public transport and not allowing truckers to ply on the Delhi roads are producing results. A lot needs to be done as yet.

Wearing air-filter masks is a good idea in Delhi.

5. integrity101

integrity101 Member

To be honest the air in Delhi is choking bad but surprisingly you get used to it quite fast. It's also nowhere near toxic levels that would kill or harm you unless you suffer from asthma, bronchitis or other similar conditions.

6. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

I'm not at all surprised why Delhi is widely considered as one of the most polluted cities in the world. Let's keep in mind that Delhi is also one of the most populated city in the world. High population is always directly related to pollution. With that said, if you are traveling to Delhi, it's a good idea to take precautions. If you are traveling with someone who is suffering from respiratory-related conditions, you should make him or her wear a mask.

7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I am in Delhi and right now it is a gas chamber with PM2.5 level touching 1500 which means no one should be coming to Delhi and residents should either wear masks or move out. New Delhi air pollution has gone from worse to something beyond worse since Diwali night and there is no wind to move the particulate matter out. Bad conditions are here to stay for a few weeks by the looks of it. I have been getting headaches for almost a week now due to air pollution and hospitals are stretched to limits with lungs and related ailments including cardiac problems made worse due to air.

8. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I have a constant headache since Diwali night and it goes away for an hour or two and comes back, doctor told me to get out of Delhi if I wanted headaches to go away. I would trade Delhi for one of Hitler's gas chambers to have a chance of living longer. Delhi air is killing me.

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I have read that the pollution in some parts of India is worse such that classes were suspended for a week to give children a respite. I guess lung problem is most prevalent. Do you think it has affected the tourism of Delhi? Beijing is in the same boat according to the news. But when we went to Beijing the other year, we didn't notice the smog as if there was not much pollution.