1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi Airport to Railway Station

Discussion in 'North India' started by AshimaRoy, Jul 1, 2016.

1. AshimaRoy

AshimaRoy New Member

My arrival from Bangalore will be at Delhi Airport. I further need to get a train to Chandigarh, and I need some help in finding out which is the nearest train station to Delhi airport?

I would like to know what the distance is from Delhi airport to railway station?

With Delhi traffic, ideally how long will it take from Delhi airport to the nearest railway station?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There are four different railway stations in Delhi:
    • The distance between the Domestic Airport of Delhi and the Old Delhi Junction Railway Station is about 19.1 kms or about 35 minutes of travel time.
    • The distance between the Domestic Airport of Delhi and the New Delhi Railway Station is about 14.3 kms or about 27 minutes of travel time.
    • The distance between the Domestic Airport of Delhi and the Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station is about 18.7 kms or about 35 minutes of travel time.
    • The distance between the Domestic Airport of Delhi and the Anand Vihar Railway Station is about 32.6 kms or about 44 minutes of travel time.
    • The distance between the Domestic Airport of Delhi and the Delhi Cantt Railway Station is about 12 kms or about 25 minutes of travel time.
    As you can see, the nearest train station to Delhi is the Delhi Cantt Railway Station, the New Delhi Railway Station and the Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station. However, the Delhi Cantt Railway Station is rarely used by trains. So in this case, your better options would be the New Delhi Railway Station.

There's now a Metro Line 2 Station that connects the New Delhi Railway Station directly from the airport. It will just take a few minutes to reach the railway station using the Delhi Airport Metro Express.

Considering the traffic, expect to reach the New Delhi Railway Station in 30 minutes or more. However, you can just take the Metro Express to avoid traffic.

I hope this helps!

3. MCH

MCH New Member

Hi, I would like to know more about the Metro Line 2, as I thought the only Metro line from the airport was the Metro Express which ends at Daula Kuan.

Does this Metro Line 2 take you directly to the railway station?

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi, @MCH!

The Delhi Metro Line 2, Orange Line or Delhi Airport Metro Express connects the New Delhi Railway Station to the Indira Gandhi International Airport. It has six stations, namely: New Delhi, Shivaji Stadium, Dhaula Khan, Delhi Aerocity, IGI Airport and Dwarka Sector 21. The stations in the airport are: Delhi Aerocity and IGI Airport Terminal 3.

The timings for the different stations are the following:

New Delhi
    • First train - 4:45 am
    • Second train - 5:30 am
    • Last train - 11:30 pm
    Dwarka Sector 21
    • First train - 4:45 am
    • Second train - 5:15 am
    • Last train - 11:15 pm
    You can reach the stations mentioned above directly from the Delhi Airport Metro Express Line. Trains here run every 10 to 15 minutes so you need to add those minutes to your time table. The Airport Metro Station is just opposite the the Ajmeri Gate Entrance or Exit of the New Delhi Railway Station so you can easily access it.

However, if you are coming from the Domestic Terminal, you'd have to ride a bus to go the International Terminal 3 and access the Airport Express. So it's not a great option for those coming from the Domestic Terminal.

I hope this helps!