1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi to Shimla by road

Discussion in 'North India' started by Monali Verma, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Monali Verma

Monali Verma New Member

I have recently bought a new car and I want to take my family on a holiday to Shimla. As I am a new driver and it will also be the first time I will be going to Shimla I would like some help with my route from Delhi to Shimla by road.

I would like some help in knowing what Delhi to Shimla route I should take?

What is the road distance from Delhi to Shimla?

How long would the journey be?

On the Delhi to Shimla by road trip which places do you recommend stopping at?

2. Deven

Deven Member

You should take the following route from Delhi to Shimla:

Depending on where you live in Delhi you need to reach the Karnal bypass.
    • Follow the NH44 which is the Mabala Chandigarh expressway. You will be going past Panipat, Karnal, Kurukshetra, and through Ambala
    • When you have reached Ambala you need to follow the NH152 which goes towards Zirakpur
    • Carry on straight forward until you reach the main chowk in Zirakpur and then take the NH5 going past Panchkula.
    • You need to follow the road now which would lead you towards Shimla. Some of the places you will go past are Parwanoo, Dharampur, Solan, Waknaghat, and Kharog. When reaching Boileauganj take the NH205 and follow the road to reach Shimla.
    The road distance from Delhi to Shimla is 343km which should take you around 7-8 hours.

It would take you around 7-8 hours. But like you said you're a new driver and you once you will be driving on the hills it may take a little longer, so go along with the journey being anything from 8 hours to 10 hours long.

Start by having some thing at the dhabas in Murthal, the ones I would recommend are Sukhdev dhaba, Zhilmil, Gulshan Dhaba or Haveli.

When in Zirakpur eat at Sethi da Dhaba. If you wish to make a diversion to Chandigarh then you have the options of eating at Pal Dhaba and Tehal Singh Dhaba.

In Dharampur there are two options one is Modern Dhaba and the other is Giani Da Dhaba. Out of the two, I would recommend Giani Da Dhaba.

Have a safe journey and enjoy the trip :)