1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi Zoo

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by JimmyKakkar, Jun 5, 2015.

1. JimmyKakkar

JimmyKakkar New Member

Last time I went to Delhi Zoo was when I was a small child with my siblings, and I haven't been since then, well I haven't had the chance! Now that I have kids I think that it would be a good idea to take them to the zoo.
    A question for those who went to zoo something like 10 years ago and who have been recently, how has the zoo changed and is it worth going to the zoo, has the number of animals increased?

2. AbhayNarang

AbhayNarang New Member

The zoo you can is pretty much the same, there are more animals there and there is also a car service which takes people around the zoo, so you don't have to walk around so much.

3. Lost In India

Lost In India New Member

The van service inside comes in handy when it is too hot. It is a large area to be covered on foot especially with temperatures in their 40's.

4. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Zoo has alot of animals now as compared to before, if you have some times then take your kids to Akshardham temple if have not visited before its near to the zoo...

5. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

The last time I went to the Delhi Zoo was I thin in 1987-88 when I was a little kid. It was an amazing experience at that age and Akshardham mandir didint exist back then. It was completed in 2005 and I have always wanted to go and see it but never materialized. Will go to the zoo and the temple in a single trip once the weather allows.

6. Oju

Oju New Member

The zoo has become much better than before, the fact that they have these battery operated cars is an excellent idea especially for those who have a problem in walking. Although if comparing the the time before and now, the zoo adventure will be finished in a shorter time as you dont do as much walking.

7. MonikaGulati

MonikaGulati New Member

To be honest apart from the transport service within the zoo, I think everything else is the same. When I was younger it took a lot of time going around the zoo but this time round it was a quick tour which finished in no time. I think there should there should be more animals, as it is the only zoo in Delhi it should include all kinds of animals.

8. JimmyKakkar

JimmyKakkar New Member

Any one got any images from the zoo? I cant find anything from the official site of the zoo.

9. ChetanAhuja

ChetanAhuja New Member

Is there a cost for the van service or is it free of cost?

Also are there any shops to buy food and drink from, or would we need to take our own?

10. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

there are hockers.. roadside food sellers they sell cold drinks waffers etc..

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

11. TravelinMan

TravelinMan New Member

I think I would LOVE to take my little one to the Delhi Zoo! Yet another thing to consider for an upcoming family vacation! They seem to have a lot of animals we can't see here in the US (based on what I see on their website) - are there any other cool zoo's, etc., in India? I suppose i could Google that - but I would love to get more personal feedback from the members here as well! :) Thanks!

12. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I like that part where you can have a ride when you get tired of walking and probably the electric cars there are airconditioned? And based on your post, walking takes a lot of time so it would be a waste to walk the whole day while riding an electric car will afford me to see the sights faster and probably we could see the entirety of the zoo. This is the first time I've heard of such transportation inside the zoo.

13. arthnel

arthnel Member

The Delhi Zoo is really amazing with a great stock of animals. My trip was about a year and ago and I'm hoping they added lots more. We started out on a golf buggy and did about half the zoo. We thought we could get a lot more out of the experience by using the walking trails to see the rest of the animals. That was not the best idea as the zoo is very large and the day was extremely hot and humid. They do have a lot of nearby water coolers though so it wasn't all that bad.

The animals that really stood out for me were the elephants, tigers and macaques. There are rhinos there that look like they have been built within thick plates of armor. An absolute joy to see. We booked through an online agency and paid one fee so the ride on the buggy was included to cover all that.

14. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

I have only been through half of the zoo because one of my friends had to make it back home the night. It was very nice and they did have a lot of safety in place for the tigers. I was impressed! I do not know how it was 10 years ago, but it was popular when I went!

15. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

You are right, a visit to zoo should always be in your plan as kids would love it for ever and Delhi Zoo is an excellent choice. The zoo is spread in 176 acres near Old Fort in Delhi. It is a home for around 130 species of animals and birds from around the world.

Please note that the zoo remains closed on Fridays and national holidays. So plan your trip accordingly. There is a food canteen inside the premises and visitors are not allowed to bring food items inside the zoo, except drinking water/milk for infants.

16. moondebi

moondebi New Member

I had been to the Delhi zoo around five years back, and that is my sole visit to that spot. It was a part of my travel to some parts of North India. The zoo was nice to visit with a wide range of animals of different species.

However, I do not have an idea on whether the number of animals has increased, but when the zoo came into the news with a man falling into tiger captivity I again had a look at the capacity of the zoo, which tells that the count has increased than what it was ten years back.

17. Honest Abe

Honest Abe New Member

Would the zoo be a good destination spot for a tourist in Delhi? I enjoy checking out the animals in countries I visit, but from a safe distance!

How many animals do they have and what are the conditions? Hard to see much from an online search.

18. Indyra

Indyra Member

I like taking my kids to zoos, too. I know that India has a lot of wildlife sanctuarys, but I'm a little worried about taking my kids to those. I think they are just a bit too dangerous for my liking.

19. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

zoos are never dangerous its us who make them sounds terrible.. Delhi zoo is very much safe or anyother zoo in the country you only need to follow rules-regulation of the zoos...

20. Indyra

Indyra Member

I agree, BadBoy. That's why I said that I like taking my kids to zoos. Although a lot of people think it's animal captivity, some animals do better there than they would in the wild. It's not an easy life that many of them live. That's why a lot of animals become extinct.

21. arthnel

arthnel Member

The zoo is pretty good and very safe. It's understandable why some people will see it in a bad light because of the incident some years ago with the man who fell into the cage. It's very sad that it happened at all. I've been to the zoo long after the situation and it was a great experience. Many of the animals in the zoo would be hard to find in the wild if you were to plan your trip to see them that way. They are also well taken care of in the zoo so don't expect sick, thinned out animals. You will truly enjoy the visit.

22. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Riding on cars inside zoo sounds awesome.I never heard of that kind of service. When I am in Delhi, I will make sure to visit the zoo.

23. Igor

Igor New Member

A man fell into a cage - that is shocking? How could he have fallen in if the cage was well secured?

Makes me quite scared although I am not really faint of heart. I mean falling into a wild animals cage is not a joke. I hope the zoo is safe and secure now.

24. Rocky

Rocky New Member

It must have been an isolated incident that is quite rare and does not happen frequently in India. In fact zoos in India are well maintained and have some interesting animals and birds that you can watch in their cages.

25. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The National Zoological Park in Delhi was established in the year 1959. The zoological park has about 176 acres. Originally, the name of the park was Delhi Zoo but it was later changed to the National Zoological Park. You can find it near the Old Fort in Delhi.

By the end of 1959, the Northern half of the park was already completed already with ponds, moats and animal houses. Gifts of animals were also provided by the different states and individuals. The National Zoological Park is the home to many endangered species of animals.

The National Zoological Park is home to about 1,350 animals which is about 130 species. There's a total of about 110 mammals in the park: Indian lions, Bengal tigers, lion-tailed macaques and gaurs are just some of them. Reptile species are at about 29 here. There are also about 200 species of trees in the park.

The National Zoological Park is also involved in conservation breeding programs for Bengal tigers, Asiatic lions and Indian rhinoceros. Their breeding program for the brow antlered deer had been very successful. Many of the deers have been transferred to other regions: Ahmedabad, Kanpur, Lucknow, Hyderabad, Junagarh, and Mysore.

There's even a library in the zoo which you can visit. You can find books about the animals found all over India. The reptiles can be found in the Underground Reptile House at the centre of the zoo. There's also a canteen here since visitors aren't allowed to bring their own food, except water.

The park is open all-year round but the best months to visit would be from March to April. The park is open from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. During the middle of October to March, the park is open from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Here are the different entry fees for the park:
    • Indians: Adult at Rs. 40, Children above 3 feet at Rs. 20, Children below 3 feet are free and Senior Citizens are at Rs. 20.
    • Foreigners: Adults at Rs. 200, Children below 5 years old are free and Children above 5 years old are at Rs. 100.
    Battery operated vehicles are run by agencies. But their fees can range between Rs. 25 (for children) to Rs. 50 (for adults).

I hope this helps!