1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct Flight Between Dublin And India

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chahal, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Anyone traveling to India from Dublin had to go via mainland Europe or take a flight from the United Kingdom but this is going to change very soon as Prime minister Modi who is at Dublin has just announced that both the countries have agreed to start direct flights in the near future.

Lots of tourists come to India from Ireland and there is also a sizable Indian community that lives in Ireland that would benefit from reduced ticket prices as a result of direct flights.

2. Chrisanswer

Chrisanswer New Member

This is good news. I've been to Dublin many times and also to India. Never thought there would ever be a direct flight between the two locations. Thanks for the post.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Direct flights are always so much easier, and honestly it comes into consideration when I am choosing vacation destinations. If I have big stopovers or the route is inconvenient with flight schedules, it can be a pretty big deterrent as to whether I travel there or not.

The convenience of a direct flight should do wonders for Indian tourism coming in from Ireland, and vice versa I would imagine!

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The news can only be good for both countries as the more direct flight a country as, the more tourists and visitors it will get.

A lot of people are often put off going to a certain destination, simply because it's to hard to get there, changing flights and having to stop off along the way.

Direct flights from Ireland to India will make a big difference to both countries and its something I thought would have been done before now.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm curious to know what the flight time is between the two! I was thinking more about this, and as much as I love direct flights and the convenience that comes with them, the only thing I will say that is tough is having a super long direct flight and being stuck in a plane for that long. I'm thinking the flight would be well over 10 hours!

6. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

Yes! I have had a lot of friends have to stop in Vienna! I don't know why it is so hard to book a direct flight. I once saw a flight that had a crazy layover in Germany that had an 11 hour wait time. Ugh! Who wants to waste a whole day like that? Not me!

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I take your point regarding the length of the flight time but I'd imagine that most people would prefer a direct flight rather than having to stop over or change.

Some of the stop overs do tend to get a bit ridiculous also with some flights making you wait up to a day sat around waiting for a connecting flight.

8. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

Well, with a single stopover lasting about an hour, the flight time can be as little as ten and a half hours so a direct flight is likely to be at least 9 hours long. You're right,its a long time to be cooped-up in a plane, but its far better than a flight with additional stopovers, which sometimes are considerably longer than an hour. The flight distance between Dublin and Delhi is over 7,000 kilometers so a lot will depend on weather conditions over Europe during your flight time.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

With plane travel I think a lot depends on how you look at it. I've travelled on 9 and 10 hour flights and while they're not brilliant obviously, I think if you keep yourself from being bored it does tend to pass quite quickly.

My kind of routine is watch a film, 2 hours gone, listen to music for an hour, then sleep as best I can. By the time you wake up you'll be more or less there.

10. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

I have flown India to Dublin and vice versa a few times, and this is indeed a very good news. This shouldn't come as a surprise though since the government also announced direct flights between Delhi and San Francisco which will be the world's longest non-stop flight.

I would still prefer flying to Ireland via UK though regardless of whether there is direct flight or not because, for an Indian passport with a UK visa, Ireland visa is not required as long as the person has travelled to the UK before. More details on the British Irish Visa Scheme here - Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service British Irish Visa Scheme

11. nemanjanp

nemanjanp New Member

This is really great news! I always wanted to visit Dublin and since I was planning on pretty much doing a small world tour, I might just wait for these direct flights to actually start. It's 2015 and there is so much direct flights that should be added, I don't know what this world is waiting for. This is just another great move from India, that will most definitely bring more tourists to the country.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I wasn't aware that there was going to be a direct flight from Delhi to San Francisco to be honest and while I don't mind long flights, even I might struggle to keep myself occupied on a journey for that long!

13. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

9 hours isn't too bad. The worst I've had was L.A to Australia - and that was around 13 hours! I think a big part of it depends on who you end up getting seated next to on the plane - I've had some awful seatmates who made long trips seem like an eternity...

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Who you are sat next to can be an issue, I definitely agree with that, and especially if your on a long haul flight.

When you look at adverts for airline companies these days it always only shows the premium seats, the seats that turn into double beds with sliding privacy screens with all the gadgets you could ever want.

Travelling for 13 hours in them seats would be great, in fact they look more comfortable than most of the hotels I've stayed in, just a shame I can't afford the premium prices.

15. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Join the club! I'm sadly only on an economy travel budget, so I'm used to cramped seats and basically zero legroom - and it's not like I'm all that tall, either! I don't know how tall people do it.

I love to dream about someday being able to travel in the lap of luxury like that - but right now it's exactly that, just a dream!