1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever go to eating places according to TV programs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Prits, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Prits

Prits Member

There are so many TV programs which are based on traveling and food, one of my favorites being Highway on my Plate. Whenever I watch this program I always tend to note down the recommended eating places where I know I can easily get to, i.e Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand etc. Other than this I also watch the program called Eat This which comes on the FoodFood channel, and they only show eating places in Delhi, which is totally ideal for me.
    How many of you go to eating places according to TV programs?

2. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Even i used to watch Highway On My Plate! that rocky guy was amazing!
    when i went to bangalore for holiday trip i noted some restaurants showed in HOMP and we went their to had food ;) it was the only time when i went to a r estaurant according to a TV show or else i prefer the ones near our hotel..

even in Delhi i eat at any place i like ;)

3. MonikaGulati

MonikaGulati New Member

I do watch a lot of food travel related programs but have never gone to the mentioned places, maybe it is something which I should try next time.

4. Raffy01

Raffy01 New Member

I have been to a lot of places which have been shown on Highway on my Plate, and believe me they are well worth it. There are other shows which go around places giving details about the famous eating joints but are not as good as Highway on my Plate. I don't think the show has any latest episodes and only the old ones are being shown.

5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

yeah, the show is closed now, only repeats are being aired.. they now come in a show called "Food Mad" which is based on junk food.

6. AswinDas

AswinDas New Member

I only go to the places which are really popular, sometimes programmes just show places to try their food out even though they are not famous, which is a risky thing to do especially when on holiday.

7. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I always try to look for famous places on the internet or in case I remember some place from HOMP then I try to go there but mostly I ask the locals about specialties around places where I go.

I recently went to Nashik and went to Ambika sweets for their vada pao and to a famous misal pao place I cant remember the name now but I didint find either of them to be very interesting. A road side stall of vada pao sells better tasting vada pao as compared to Ambika sweets. Some times it turns out to be true : Oonchi dukaan feekae pakwaan ;)

8. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Basically I am a food lover and always on the look out for variety in vegetarian foods. But sadly most of the TV shows focus only on non-vegetarian foods. I visited a few of them with family and the it was nice experience. I think these shows also help them grow their business to a large extent. I think they are quite transparent and some of them even allow customers to visit their kitchen.

Sometimes I try traditional cookery at home that is being showed on TV. I can't say it always come out great, but there is always a 50:50 chance.

9. fatema

fatema New Member

I honestly find it so dumb when people do that! Everything on TV looks amazing I'm not going to lie. That's why I started going to Popeyes 24/7. I saw a commercial, it looked good, and I went. Same thing with Sonic slushies. It's weird, I don't like when people do that, but I do that. I honestly am a weird person. I mean like I don't like if people bought chips because there favorite singer or actress told them to on a commercial. You see, that's what I don't like.

10. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Well, the matter of fact is that I do not on a TV, but to go eat and see places according to videos on the internet is totally fit for me. I used to watched travel channel when I lived with my parents and those places just seemed somehow unreachable. On the other hand, yes I like to get recommendations via internet and youtube channels, blogs.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

In the past I've visited places that have appeared on the TV, but that's more by luck than having actually gone to that place because of the show.

What's happened is we've visited a town or city and while we've been there we've either recognised the location or sometimes if the place got a good review they proudly exclaim 'as seen on TV', I'm sure you know the sort of thing?

When you see that then you almost have to visit, just so you can say you've been there!

12. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

I don't like to because I find that they tend to jack up the price because it was featured on TV. I'd rather eat off of a street cart that locals have told me to try than to try and get a seat at a fancy restaurant that was featured on a travel show.

13. Delirium

Delirium Member

Oh yes, absolutely. I seem to have caught the habit from my mother. She love watching these shows. She'd spend her free time watching them and write down the places that were shown on the TV on her phone or on a notepad. Keep in mind that we're not talking super fancy restaurants (we almost never go to them, they're kinda lame to be honest), these are the smaller restaurants on the side of the streets.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That is a problem and you'll often find that as well as thinking they can charge more because they've been on TV they are also pretty crowded as well as people will go there just to say they've been.

15. MichelleVL

MichelleVL New Member

My favorite food and travel show is Man vs Food. In my time watching the show, I was able to try out 3 of the restaurants the host visited. I didn't try the challenges that he tried against the restaurant, but I very much enjoyed the food. I was able to eat authentic Deep Dish Pizza from Chicago, authentic BBQ ribs from Texas, and authentic Puertorican Tripletas (a huge sandwich with many meats). My other favorite show is Bizarre Foods by Andrew Zimmern. I like his show a lot because the locations and foods he gets to try are much more exotic and weird. He gets to travel the world! What an awesome job!

16. Zhen25

Zhen25 New Member

I have never followed up on any of these travel food programs. Definitely something to think about.

17. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

I watch Munchies on Youtube. I especially follow their Chef's Night Out program where the owner/head or executive chef of a popular local restaurant gets a night out with his buddies to go to his/her favorite food places. They're usually shot in LA or New York but they've been expanding to foreign countries like Gernany, Spain etc. sadly I don't live in any of these places so I can't go there but I'm planning to go the US in the near future and I'm already making plans on places I'd like to go and restaurants I'd like to eat in. I like to make the most of my trips and maybe meet the chefs that I see in the shows. :)

18. RajaApull

RajaApull New Member

No, I do not go to restaurants according to tv programs. I go by what I like when it comes to restaurants, not what other people like. I'll watch youtube videos sometimes for restaurants reviews, which can influence me to pick a restaurant. This is an interesting question, it really is something to think about.

19. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

Actually I have. When I use to watch man 's wild he did a feature on a restaurant called oinkster in a small town called Eagle Rock West of La. Known for its pastrami sandwiches and delicious shakes Oinkster did not disappoint.