1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Like To Cook?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by moondebi, Sep 29, 2015.

1. moondebi

moondebi New Member

I know that the answer will certainly vary.

The people for whom it is a regular phenomenon, they will not like it. On the other hand, cooking would a stress-buster for them, who will do it occasionally.

Though, I need to do this activity on a regular basis, still have not got fatigued to perform this task. Rather, out of all the household chores, I vote it to be the best. It is a process, which gives me a space to experiment. Though, all the experiments do not bring positive results, but they have definitely enhanced my level. Each time my interest to toss up something new has made me a better foodie and an upgraded cook.

So, what is your take on cooking?

chartara powell likes this.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yes! I love cooking. In fact, I love it so much that I regularly make it a part of my travels, too. Any time I'm visiting a new destination, I try to do some research beforehand about cooking classes/schools in the city or town that I'm visiting. Most of the time I've been able to find professional classes where you can learn local dishes! It's something I really look forward to when I travel.

I guess for me, I see cooking as my way of expressing myself - I'm not really good at other arts/crafts but cooking is my thing!

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I like cooking aswell. That of course doesn't mean that I'm any good at it, but I will try and have a go at most cuisines.

In between moving out of my parents house and settling down with my girlfriend, I lived on my own for 3 or 4 years so I kind of made myself cook. If I didn't it would have been take-a-ways and McDonald's every night!

4. Delirium

Delirium Member

Absolutely. Living in Norway is expensive - even as a native. Being able to cook really helps you and your pocket - mostly your pocket. If I was to have to rely on ordering food from restaurants I'd be bankrupt in no time. So I'm really thankful my parents taught me how at a very early age. It also helps that I actually wanted to be a chef when I was little, so I was quite passionate about it back then. Not so much nowadays as I've changed my direction and life aspirations, but the skills stick and having to cook for the family (when we cook, we usually try to cook for the family, or at least for more than one people - it helps to keep the electricity bill low) almost daily kept it sharp.

chartara powell and amelia88 like this.
  5. KCDavis

KCDavis New Member

I love to cook, it gives me the creative rights I crave. I used to cook everything from scratch to see how I could change tastes. I had a lot of fun with it. Harder to do now with three small kids, but a ton of fun.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Great point about the cost savings too. If I was eating out at restaurants every night it would end up chewing up a sizeable amount of my income! After housing costs, bills and all the other day to day expenses of life I wouldn't have much left. Cooking means that as well as being able to partake in a fun hobby, I'm also saving money - which means I can put that towards going out and traveling! Saving in one area helps me fund other things I like to do in life!

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The amount of money you save by cooking yourself is a factor to consider, and if your ordering take a ways or eating out every night, you'll find that most of your monthly budget will be spent on food.

While not everybody can be a Michelin star trained chef, all it takes is a bit of effort, and some basic skills to be able to make a decent meal at home.

8. debilechat

debilechat New Member

I love cooking! I have a few staples that I am very confident with and I try to add something new now and again. I lived in Korea until recently and it actually was cheaper for me to eat in restaurants than cook at home! Unless you are buying ingredients for many people it can be expensive and wasteful so now that I have moved home I am enjoying being able to cook again.

Does anyone have a signature dish they like to make? Mine would either be lamb kofte or lamb and butternut squash curry.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I don't think I've ever heard of a country were its cheaper to eat out than make something yourself. I'm moving there!

As for a signature dish, while I do try and have a go at most cuisines, I think chilli con carne is probably the one that usually turns out the best. I know, very plain and simple, and certainly not very Indian I'm afraid either!

10. debilechat

debilechat New Member

Hahaha. Pwarbi, it's really amazing! I love Korean food too. Chilli con carne is so delicious! It's a lovely comforting meal, I think.

pwarbi likes this.
  11. Kaycee

Kaycee New Member

I'm not kidding when I say that I used to hate cooking. A LOT! I'm still not very good at it, but I'm still learning. I have been making a serious effort to enjoy it and to be better at it. Mainly because I am just tired of making the same things over and over again. I think that if it's not something that comes naturally to you, then you have to find a way to make it more enjoyable. For me, it was plugging in my headphones and listening to some upbeat music. I can spend hours in the kitchen now and not get bored!

12. debilechat

debilechat New Member

Kaycee, I used to hate cooking too but once I learned a few basics I started to really love experimenting. Music definitely makes it more fun too.

What kinds of dishes have you been practicing with?

13. innaf93

innaf93 Member

My favourite go to dishes are stew and soup with Indian spices. I mean not a single person from India would approve it for sure, but to use cinnamon in savoury dishes is my fave thing of the century!

I don't eat meat so asian and indian cuisine can help me a lot with protein intake, i really like chickpeas and various peas, beans. Potatoes, curries, rice. Maybe I am lucky that my father taught me how to cook from young age, so nothing is impossible in the kitchen

Maybe a whole lamb, that would be a little bit hard. But who knows.

14. debilechat

debilechat New Member

I love cinnamon in savoury dishes! I haven't heard of that being a taboo thing! Eep.

I'm pretty sure I have been given at least one Indian recipe that used star anise and cinnamon as well as more tradtional spices. I can't quite remember what it was though- maybe Syrian Christian chicken.

Do you make up your own vegetarian recipes or is there somewhere you get them from? I would like to eat less meat but it's a little tricky with the people I am living with now.

15. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That's so neat that you lived in Korea! I went to Seoul once (a combined Japan/Korea trip) and I just loved the food there. And you're right, it's super affordable to eat out (it was a dream compared to Japan which was significantly more pricey!) but I guess it would make you miss home cooking for sure!

Your signature dishes sound delish! If I had a signature dish I'd say it probably was pulled pork or my Italian meatballs!

16. debilechat

debilechat New Member

Korea was fab. Seoul is great for all the different kinds of food you can get!
    Ooooh, pulled pork is amazing! Do you do it in the oven or a slow cooker? I'd love to try and make it. My boyfriend is a huge fan of pulled pork.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Pulled pork, in fact pulled everything seems to be all the rage in the UK these days, and while I'm no Gordon Ramsay so I'm probably wrong on this, doesn't the term pulled just mean off the bone? As in shredded? Or am I completely wrong there?

18. debilechat

debilechat New Member

I think you're right! Yeh, it seems to be EVERYWHERE at the moment., along with sweet potato fries! I made a tongue in cheek prediction to a friend this morning that salt beef will be the next big thing. We shall see......

19. ikram

ikram New Member

My favorite indian dish is Butter Chicken it's a very rich and gorgeous plate and I think every indian must have pride in this food. The chunks of chicken marinated overnight in yogurt and the beautiful mix of spices, served with a dollop of melting cream or butter on top, it's really mind blowing.

20. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Well I usually get my recipes from pinterest but not in a strict way. Like I have some lentils, what should I do! Then I search for something on pinterest and completely do the opposite what the recipe says to do.

Heavy cream? Sorry, I only have sour cream at home. Pinch of nutmeg? Make that three. Carrots, leek and ginger? Oh, it's raining outside but I have some potato in the pantry, yaay.
    So, that's why I say that it's never authentic. Delicious, spicy and soul food-y but very unique :)))

pwarbi likes this.
  21. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Unique as in edible though, or unique as in Wow! What the hell is that I've just concocted! Haha
    I think with certain recipes you can add or detract certain elements and have a play around to make it as you like, but sometimes it's best to just stick to the traditional method, and make something by the book.

22. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Slow cooker all the way! It's so much easier (to me, anyway!) because it's always turned out perfectly. The meat just is so tender it falls apart by the time it's done! Plus it's almost impossible to mess up - another bonus of slow cookers to me!

23. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

You're right, it's literally just shredded! I make mine in the slow cooker so the meat is so tender - it's super easy to then just pull apart and shred (it basically falls apart by itself!)

It's pretty popular here too - I guess it's always been an American thing but it's really popping up more and more in hip, fashionable cafes rather than just your average run of the mill diner!

24. SirJoe

SirJoe New Member

I really like to cook. It's not always possible for me but, if I can I do. There is something special about cooking your own food, it can be something quick and simple or something more elaborate. Cooking really connects you to what you are eating and it tastes a whole lot better. It opens a whole new world, I have lost count of the times I go into a restaurant and the waiter talks about there special sauce and after you try i, you discover that yours is much better.
    If you haven't cooked before I highly recommend that you try.

25. RajaApull

RajaApull New Member

Yes, I do like to cook. Cooking for someone you love is always a great thing you can do for a loved one. You can also cook delicious meals for yourself cheaper than buying it a store which is always great, saving money is something I like to do. You will also increase your patience skills. When you have company, they will enjoy coming over to your house when you cook something delicious.

26. Zhen25

Zhen25 New Member

I love cooking. If I'm cooking the same thing everyday then it's a no no. But I enjoy going on YouTube to get new recipes that I can try out.

27. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

I love cooking, I always have. My first serious foray into it was during college when I lived independently. I had to learn the basics first though like cooking an egg, rice, noodles, toasting bread, salad etc. day by day I was able to make simple to complex meals like Spanish Paella, Fried Tilapia with rosemary and other dishes. I enjoy the act of cooking because it's both creative, artistic and informs you about nutrition. I learned about the food pyramid and go, grow and glow foods when I was younger but through cooking I learned what it means to have a balanced diet.

28. bittersblue

bittersblue New Member

I have a love/hate relationship with cooking. There are times I love cooking. It's fun, relaxing, and had a great end product to enjoy. The possibilities are pretty much limitless and it's so so so much cheaper than ordering out. The downside is that it does take a lot of time. Sometimes you don't have the right ingredients to make whatever you're craving and have to settle for a really sad and uncreative pasta dish :p

Plus there's always those days where you're just too tired to do anything, let alone stand around for 20-40 minutes to eat. Sometimes the convenience of ordering out is just too tempting.

29. innaf93

innaf93 Member

In the last months I discovered that in the other hand I love to cook but it depends on the thing I make. Living with several people and often cooking for them can get tables turn around. When they ask for something and do not like the way I prepare it, the cooking process can became quite bitter.

30. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Since i was working as a chef in several restaurant one could say i really like cooking. It is my passion and important part of my life. I enjoy cooking and preparing food in general. A lot to see and learn since i am only 28 but i have to say best memories i have are related to kitchen and cooking. There is something special and interesting about chefs. If you met one you know what i mean. Even when i am without job, like now, i cook everyday at home. I cannot imagine a day outside of kitchen.

31. RajaApull

RajaApull New Member

Unconditionally. Living in Sweden is luxurious - even as a native. Being talented to cook really helps you and your concise - mostly you’re concise. If I was to have to rely on organization food from eateries I'd be bankrupt in no time. So I'm really grateful my maternities taught me how at a very early age. It helps that I really required to be a chef when I was little, so I was quite passionate about it back then. Not so much today as I've altered my way and life ambitions, but the skills stick and having to chef for the family.