1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eco Cave Gardens, Nainital

Discussion in 'North India' started by HIraeth, Oct 17, 2015.

1. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

Nainital is one of the most beautiful places that I have visited. The tranquility of this place is soothing and overwhelming at the same time. In my last visit I came across Eco Cave Gardens on the tourist guide map. Usually I avoid these maps as well as gardens in general, but for some reason I had decided to give this one a try. While the garden was very pretty and well maintained, what excited me were the natural caves that were present there. The best part is visitors are allowed to go exploring into them (I'm sure at their own risk, however) and for their benefit, small lights have been fitted on the walls of the caves to help you find you find your way around underground.

Better than the best part? Some of the caves extend pretty deep and have not been made explore-friendly by the administration. In all probability, they would highly advice you to not go wandering too far down but hey, it isn't everyday that you get to rough it out, climb slimy walls, squeeze your way in through and explore relatively safe caves and feel like you're part of a Nat Geo excursion team!

Tanmaya likes this.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That sounds awesome! I always like to explore interesting things in nature when I'm traveling to new places - and this sounds pretty neat! I find caves so interesting. One of the coolest caves I ever visited was an underground glow worm filled cave in New Zealand! It was pitch black apart from the glow worms lighting up the roof of the cave. Super cool!

Nature is pretty incredible when you think about it!

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Wow, that seems amazing! It seems dangerous though and I would probably prefer to have a companion in such situations. Though for adventure lovers, I'm sure the thrill of exploring a cave that is unexplored yet is very much welcome. The closest I've ever been in a cave is in a local place here in my country and it is more like an cave in a river. It was such a fun experience and I assume that the Eco Cave Gardens in Nainital are enjoyable too.

4. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

Oh that sounds wonderful! I have heard about caves with glow worms in them in New Zealand, I suppose it's the very same you speak of. You're very lucky to have visited them! It must have looked beautiful.

You're right. It would definitely be better to have a companion with you when exploring these caves, or any such places for that matter. When I went I had my uncle and my cousin with me. And I did in fact need their help in climbing parts of the caves. The walls were so wet and smooth it was nearly impossible to make it through inside! But the effort was absolutely worth it.

briannagodess likes this.
  5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

It really was incredible! Like thousands of tiny stars on the 'roof' of the cave. It was one of those breathtaking travel experiences. If you ever go to New Zealand I would highly recommend it! Caves are amazing!

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

So would you say that the caves are not for the weaker ones? Lol. I'm not that athletic but I think I'm pretty strong when it comes to endurance. My husband is the opposite, he's athletic but weak in endurance (due to smoking). Anyways, I guess we can balance each other out if we go there!:p

7. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I have only been to a few caves in New Zealand and one was in a glow worm cave and it was amazing to see the worms which can glow and liked how the cave was near a river and enjoyed my visit and had my family with me and we spent half a day touring and taking our time walking around the cave, and caves can be interesting and need to know if it is safe and are the walls wide or tight before going in. It is important to research about the cave and get information on how well known is the cave and any safety things you need to know about, so you are prepared for the trip into the cave, you can be surprised in what you can find in a cave and can be a enjoyable visit and refreshing as well as you get some exercise. The cave with the glow worms is amazing and also enjoyed how the worms are on the rocks in the top and you can see them glowing and amazing how these creatures are made and also you can think about the amazing way it is able to glow and move around.

8. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

Oh I don't think the caves will be too difficult for even the weaker ones as long as you have someone to give you a hand while climbing certain parts of the rocks. The walls and floors are rather slippery and smooth, so getting a grip on them becomes difficult. Otherwise there isn't much to scare anyone from wanting to explore the caves. To be honest, I'm no good really when it comes to toughness and endurance, I just have insatiable hunger for all things wild. :p But these caves are relatively one of the most safest options of adventure that you can find. Besides, even if you don't enter the caves, you can always catch the breathtaking panoramic views of Nainital, the hills and the lake, from the altitude of the park. I'm sure you will love it!

9. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

Wow! That sounds like a great escape! I love public spaces that just help you reconnect with nature! I first went into caves when I was a kid and have been fascinated ever since. All caves pose some risk, but it is a chance every explorer takes in order to enjoy the beauty!

10. Zhen25

Zhen25 New Member

That sounds super fun. It is always great to explore explore nature. I would love to visit these caves. I've never been in one before but I look forward to it soon.

11. artyarson

artyarson New Member

Actually, this place reminds me of the Northern part of Italy. The Lake Como, especially. So, if you're a fan of places like that, you should definitely consider visiting.

12. Jani

Jani New Member

Thank you for sharing that information. I am assuming that this is a lesser-known tourist attraction. I prefer visiting places that are off the beaten track.

13. artyarson

artyarson New Member

Jani, you will definitely find it attractive. Just google some pictures. I'm already in love with this place. And I pretty much agree with you. Popular places for tourists are usually fine but visiting and telling stories about them would feel like doing something original and standoffish.