1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elephant Tours

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Andre, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Andre

Andre New Member

Where is the best place to book an elephant tour? Has anyone ever done this before? I would love to take a 1 or 2 day tour by elephant. Any idea where we can go and what we can see?

2. tabby

tabby Member

I haven't done any elephant tours. The first time I saw these beautiful creatures was during a trip to Ayutthaya in Thailand. While elephants are magnificent, I got scared with their size, haha! They look so adorable on TV, but up close and personal (even though they appear SO gentle), they gave me a scare. Anyway, I saw on tripadvisor that the highly recommended among the travelers who posted review is called Dera Amer Elephant Safari. According to reviews, it's located on the outskirts of the Pink City, in Jaipur.

3. Nita

Nita New Member

That is amazing. I have always wondered what it would be like to ride on top of an elephant. The closest I ever got to an elephant was when I was young. My parents took us to the zoo. There we could buy peanuts to feed the elephants. My dad bought us some in the machine. The elephants would put out their trunks and we would give them a peanut. They seemed so friendly and tame.

4. tabby

tabby Member

Oh, I didn't get to ride on them. I just got scared, but also I felt that they should not be ridden on by people. I get the point that they're being taken care of, but still don't feel quite comfortable about it. I'm no animal advocate, but still it just didn't feel right to me. Nothing against those who feel differently. It's just my own take.

5. Nita

Nita New Member

From what I understand people have ridden on elephants for centuries. I also know certain countries used elephants to move giant trees and logs. I feel this animal is strong and can easily support a person ridding on it's back.

6. Malibu

Malibu New Member

I would be absolutely terrified of riding an elephant. They are such fascinating but at the same time scary animals. I think you are really brave :)

7. JManara

JManara Member

Getting a ride on top of an elephant sounds like it would be fun. Elephants would probably prefer to have a person on their back than to have to move heavy objects. They seem like such docile creatures but in the wild they are probably not as friendly.

8. Paul

Paul New Member

Wow that sounds like fun! I have only ever seen elephants on television and at the zoo. I wonder what it feels like to ride one!

9. Kyle

Kyle New Member

The biggest animal I have ever had the chance to ride was a camel when I visited Egypt a few years ago. Riding an elephant sounds fun and dangerous at the same time, but I would definitely give it a try.

10. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I am not sure that the whole riding an elephant thing is something that you can arrange, but I do know that there are a lot of ways to take safari like trips and see elephants in their natural habitat. Now that I think about I did see a lot of pictures with people on the elephants so maybe that is more of a thing than I am thinking that it is, but either way the best thing to do is to do a little research and ask around to see where the best deals are.

11. Peter

Peter New Member

Now that sounds like an adventure, taking a tour on an elephant in search of tigers and other wildlife. Even camping in the jungle would be excellent.

12. sara.nm

sara.nm New Member

The most famous one is located in the Pink City (quite a name ha?!) in Jaipur.

13. Polaroid

Polaroid New Member

Elephant tours are great fun because elephants have a very slow gait and you can enjoy the ride if you have good company. Besides, you will be seated at a height giving you a commanding view of the area around you. I have been for these rides an umpteen number of times and come away happy each time.

14. lucy2017

lucy2017 New Member

I'd love to go on an elephant tour - they are amazing animals! I heard there are places where the elephant paints you a picture. I think that would be a really cool thing to have.

15. xTinx

xTinx Member

I would definitely like to be on one of those Elephant tours and ride an elephant's back. Not only is the elephant one of my favorite animals, but riding on one must feel really awesome. It's like exploring an unknown place with a large, gentle friend.

16. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

It is a great experience. No one should be afraid of these elephants. They probably have more human interaction than most humans. I know a few people who spend their time at a computer instead of talking. But they are kind, gentle, and are kept under close guidance by their drivers. It is a great activity, especially for kids.

17. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

This was one of the things that I was interested in during my last trip, but I never really got any solid information on it. Then again, I had so much else to do that I kind of forgot! Maybe someone will give us all some good advice.

18. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I am strongly against riding any animal and elephants are no exceptions. I read Pearl Buck's novels about old China and I was always touched by the ways people treated animals then. An ox that was being used to plough the land had better conditions then some people back then. The owner of an ox would always find food for it even if he skip a meal. We ride them to see things.

19. integrity101

integrity101 Member

Sounds like great fun but elephant safaris can be quite expensive by Indian standards. There are many tour operators online who can organize an elephant safari that you'll live to remember.

20. rajesh

rajesh Member

I must say the best place for elephant ride is Jaipur (Near Amber Fort). It costs Rs.1000 per 2 peoples. for 30 min of travel. Well, I know it's one the most expensive elephant rides but trust me, it would be one the most amazing as well. There are more than 70 high-end beautiful elephants present everyday carry several visitors. Just visit that place and you will be impressed. :)

21. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While elephant rides does seem to be a popular tourist experience, I'm not sure if I'd be all that comfortable and I'd like to ask just how well the elephants are looked after.

I understand that its their way of making money, so the elephants will be fed and cleaned, but surely carrying people around all day is bordering on cruelty or is that simply not the case and the elephants enjoy the human interaction?

22. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Oh man, I've always wanted to ride elephants. Such majestic creatures, I'd feel like a soldier from the middle ages, who used to ride elephants to battle. Kinda awesome if you think about it, huh? I think it's fairly common as tourist attractions, I don't think you have to jump through hoops to get it. I mean, in Africa, all you do is sign a paper and you can literally hunt down lions for fun. It's sick, but if they allow it, surely riding on an elephant is a tier down on the list.

23. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi! Here's a few places that I can recommend to you:
    • Bandavgarh in Madhya Pradesh. You can actually tour the safari in the back of the elephant for at least an hour or two in here. Aside from that, there are reported tiger sightings in here too. The affordability of the place as compared to other safaris makes it a popular choice for tourists as well.
    • Corbett National Park. You also tour the park at the back of an elephant. You can see the tiger reserve in the park as well. It is a tour though that goes for days and you may opt to ride an elephant for some days or not.
    • Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary in Kerala. This one is advertised by the government itself so you're quite sure that the owners treat the elephants well. You may spot tigers, deers and monkeys on your ride as well as some rare species of birds.
    Elephant riding is a major issue in India. Although there are some reported incidents of abuse to these lovely elephants, we cannot deny that some owners still take proper care of these creatures. However, you must find reputable tours that make sure that their elephants are well-fed and not overworked. It's such a conflicting issue since on one hand, we don't want to abuse the animals but on the other hand, these tours give the safari parks the money they need to conserve these wild animals.