1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falafel

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Indyra, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Indyra

Indyra Member

Does anyone have any good recipes for falafel? Also, if there are any Indian-inspired sauces for dipping, I would be interested in those, too. Although I love hummus, I am open to trying other things.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I thought felafel were of some sort of Arabic-origin? They have them at my local Turkish restaurant...don't get me wrong, I love them and think they're delicious but I just didn't know about the connection to India!

I've never tried making my own, though!

3. Indyra

Indyra Member

I may have to check that, amelia88, as I may be wrong as the origin of falafel. However, they definitely do sell them at an Indian store in my neighborhood. Then, again, you find stores that sell foods that are not native to them all the time. Either way, falafel are delicious!

4. Drifter

Drifter New Member

Falafel originated in the Middle East - possibly Egypt but nobody really knows for sure, as Israel and Palestine also claim it as one of their national dishes. As with most things, it has gradually spread worldwide - in the future I wonder whether there will ever be any genuine regionality when it comes to food.

5. SolaNova

SolaNova New Member

Im with Drifter on this one I believe the falafel is of a middle eastern origin. I remember a Lebanese restaurant in my hometown that served some fantastic falafel. But as with many things it spreads across the world, a friend of mine thought Falafel was a Turkish creation. I have had falafel before with mint chutney and I thought that was rather nice.