1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Licenses

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Joanne, Jan 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Joanne

Joanne New Member

Does anyone know if I would need a special license to fish in India. I love fishing around the world and would love to fish in India. I also want to know if they rent fishing equipment.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Hi! I looked this up because I was curious myself. I have a link here for information and an application. Indiana Outdoor Licensing System

It does appear that these licenses are mandatory for fishing, but it seems straightforward. I don't think it would be hard to get one for a trip. Even if they are not well enforced, I would want to cover my fishing with one of these to avoid all sorts of trouble. I hope this helps.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Indiana is a state in the US and India is a country that is not governed by the government of United states of America. Licences of all kinds that you require in India are a domain of government of India.

4. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

If I remember correctly, you don't need one. As with anything else, though, you could get a hold of someone to ask questions about it.

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

How embarrassing on my part. I copied the wrong information. Here is the appropriate information. Fishing licences are obtained from local agencies, and can vary depending upon the area you are fishing from. Many of these seem to be NGOs for the corresponding states or regions.

In Kerala: High Range Angling Association, Munnar.
    In Coorg: Coorg Wildlife Association, Madikeri.
    In Karnataka: Wildlife Association of South India, Bangalore .
    In Tamil Nadu: Palni Hills Game Association, Kodaikanal Assistant Director of Fisheries, Udhagamandalam.
    In West Bengal: Fisheries Department, Mirik.
    In Assam: Angling Association, Tejpur .
    In Maharashtra: Fish Association of Powai Lake, Mumbai Tata Hydroelectric Works, Lonavla.
    In Delhi: Assistant Warden of Fisheries, Delhi Administration.

They all have different websites and contact information, so you will need to do some basic searches.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Angling or Sport Fishing is allowed in India, as long as you have obtained the permit for it. There's about 50,000 kms of rivers, lakes and streams in India, not to mention the 3,000 kms of coastline. Majority of the cities in the country are situated in the coastline area, making angling and fishing quite an easy hobby to do. Furthermore, each state has their own Department of Fisheries, so there's an assurance of the diversity of the fishes in each region.

Some tips that you would need to remember though are:
    • Most states forbid angling during the monsoon season. This is the time when fishes are breeding so it's best to schedule your trip accordingly.
    • Some regions, like the Himalayas, can be very cold during the winter months. Again, schedule your trip accordingly if you decide to go angling in that region.
    • You can only fish in a specified stretch of water, make sure you adhere by the guidelines given to you.
    • Anglers are required to throw the fish back in the water. Furthermore, there's a limit to how much fish you can catch per day.
    • For less hassle, you can contact tour operators that can handle the processes of permits and fix accommodations for you. They even provide the equipment for anglers if you'd request for it.
    Now, when it comes to the permit, you can get it at any Department of Fisheries near you. Most states have them but here are some of them:
    • Delhi: Office for the Assistant Warden, Animal Husbandry & Fisheries Department, Okhla, New Delhi - 110025
    • Maharashtra: Fish Association of Powai Lake, Mumbai, Tata Hydroelectric Works, Lonavla
    • Assam: Angling Association, Tejpur
    • West Bengal: Fisheries Department, Benfish Tower, 31 GN Block, Salt Lake, Sector V, Kolkata, 700091
    • Tamil Nadu: Palni Hills Conservation Council, Endhawin, Lower Shola Road, Kodaikanal, 624101
    • Karnataka: Wildlife Association of South India, No. 19, Victoria Road, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
    • Coorg: Coorg Wildlife Association, P.O.Box 61, Chain Gate, Madikeri, 571201
    • Kerala: High Range Angling Association, Munnar - 685612, Kerala State, India
    For some of the best angling destinations in India, here they are:
    • Ramganga River in Uttarakhand - Fishes like Mahseer and Brown Trout can be caught here. Here, you can obtain a permit from the Divisional Forest Officer from the Corbett National Park.
    • Kosi River in Uttarakhand - This river is teeming with Mahseer. You can also see lush greenery all around which is quite a nice view while fishing.
    • Jia Bhoroli River in Assam - The Golden Masher is quite popular here. Other fishes found here are Saal, Gorua and Korang. There's also an annual angling competition done here during November.
    I hope this helps!