1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing

Discussion in 'By The Sea' started by Jenny, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Jenny

Jenny Guest

Are there places along the coast of India that have charter fishing expeditions? I would love to go fishing for a day or two while I'm there.

2. George

George Member

A women after my own heart. I love fishing and the excitement of catching the big one. Wonder if they do have chartered boats to go out for a full or half day. I'm sure I could talk my wife into shopping for the day and me going fishing.

3. Ted

Ted New Member

That really sounds like fun. I love being on boats; whether it is for fishing, swimming or diving. I would also love to know if there are any fishing tours available.

4. JoJo

JoJo New Member

I can't seem to find any charters off the coast of India. However, the Andaman Islands which are between India and Thailand have several opportunities. It's a short 2 hr. plane ride from India to the Islands and then you go from there.

5. lucy2017

lucy2017 New Member

I love fishing!! I'm from the UK have been fishing quite a few times in the South of England. I can imagine fishing in India is way better! What type of fish is there available to catch?

6. JManara

JManara Member

Brown trout seems to be prevalent in some of the fishing sites I've seen. Mahseer, a fish that looks like a carp, and goonch, a large catfish, are some of the other river fish common to India. For the big fish, Lakshadweep, an island on the west coast of India, seems to be a popular for ocean fishing tours.

7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

There is great fishing off the coast. But there is even better fishing up in the foothills of the Himalayas. Most of the streams and rivers coming down from the mountains are untapped, and if you trek to the alpine lakes you will be one of the only fishermen to do so. There are some real beauties to be found, and the views are incredible.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

In most countries that have coastal regions you'll find that there is a big fishing industry and India is no exception. While fishing is a trade for the local people, in the coastal tourist resorts you'll also often find fishing expeditions that can be arranged for a small charge.

You'll get to go out with an expert of that particular area and do a bit of fishing under their instructions. I'm not a big lover of fishing so I've never been, but I can imagine that if you are, then it's definitely something worth doing.

9. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

I don't recall seeing fishing cruises in Indian coastal regions but I'm not a big fan of fishing so would probably miss them anyway. I thought it was more of an industry than a tourist industry in India but theres probably some opportunities for tourists. The local guides or the hotel you are staying at should have some information about it.

10. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I think the fishing excursions are more of a charter basis than cruises. You will have to probably arrange these trips through your concierge, or in advance. At the Taj Exotica in Goa, they have their own boat available from which you can take trips. These can include fishing trips in the local water. What I would be most interested in is if there are any licenses or permits required?

11. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

As far as I know, there are a few regions in India that have charter fishing expeditions. I was able to find different companies offering charter fishing expeditions:

1. Charter Cove India - This is a website for both operators and those looking for charters. You can find several charter operators here and communicate with them about renting their boats. Here are a few I was able to find:
    • Great White - This is a 32 feet long boat with twin 60 hp Yamaha and has an in-built toilet. This boat can handle up to four anglers. Its daily rate is at Rs. 27,274 per day. You can rent this boat in the Havelock Island.
    • Mako Polo - This boat is a Viksund 27’ hull center console. It is coupled with a twin 60 hp engines. It is capable of speeds up to 25 knots. The boat is stable even when on the move. It has a small cabin, fish boxes (for storing fish, bait & ice) and a portable toilet. You can rent this boat in Chennai. Price is available on request only.
    2. Game Fishing Asia - They have several charters in the Andaman Islands. They offer one day to seven day charter expeditions as well. Price isn't mentioned in their website but you can inquire about it. They also offer all-inclusive packages for tourists. These all-inclusive packages include accommodations, transportations and charters already. Here is their address on the Andaman Islands: 2nd Floor, 3 Foreshore Road, Haddo,
    P.O. Port Blair 744102, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
    . Their contact number is: +91 9933235622. You can also visit their website for more information.

3. Captain Hook's - They have several charters in the Andaman Islands as well. They have a variety of charters like: Great White, Orca, Snapper and Rainbow Runner. Their charters price range from Rs. 28,000 to Rs. 30, 132 for a whole day trip. You can opt for renting the charters for longer days. They are located in the Havelock Island, Beach No. 3. Here is their contact number: +91 9434280543.

4. World Sport Fishing - They have charter boats in the Andaman Islands. Their charters are: Catamaran Halcyon 3 and Centre Console Rampage. They also offer different packages for anglers, there are two, three, four and so on days that you can choose from. Their trolling and bottom fishing package is at Rs. 38,284 per day. Their contact number is: +44 (0)1480 403293.

As you can tell, some of the best areas for charter fishing are the Andaman Islands and Chennai. I hope this helps! Have fun!