1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flight Delays

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Maple, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Maple

Maple New Member

Does India experience a lot of flight delays? Is this something that should be taken into consideration when planning to travel from one region to another? I like to plan things to the letter, so I'm wondering if I should set aside time for delays when making my itinerary.

2. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

I experienced flight delays a couple of times in India, but it was never a big deal. The delays were far shorter and less frequent than the train delays! That said, if you're going to be in India for a while, and you're going to be taking things like trains and buses, you may have to plan not to be able to plan things to the letter. Quite a lot of on the ground transportation runs very much to its own timetable, which can be part of the charm, if you let it, but can drive you crazy if you don't.

3. LMackey

LMackey New Member

You're right about the not planning to the letter, Elizabetonth. I have found that there is always something that happens during trips that changes your timetable for doing things. I'm pretty easy going when it comes to my itinerary when traveling.

4. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I consider myself pretty lucky when I think back to my trip to India, because we really did not encounter any problems with flights, even though there was plenty of opportunity to. Every other one of my trips has had some sort of issue, at least it seems like, but not this one. Maybe I just got lucky, but Indian airlines seem to be up to snuff.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

The only place I've encountered seriously long delays (like multiple hours) when I've been traveling has been here in the States and also in Australia! Other than that I've been pretty lucky that my flights elsewhere in the world have only been delayed less than an hour or left pretty close to being on time. It's one of those inevitable things though with travel -- it can and does happen, so it's something you just need to try and take in your stride if and when it does occur.

6. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

Flight delays would annoy me especially if I have to be somewhere on schedule. One of the few things that annoy me is having my time compromised by something unexpected. Then again if it cannot be helped, I'd have no choice but to extend my patience. I'd find something else to do hoping that my day won't turn out so bad.

7. tabby

tabby Member

When you travel, things could happen, flight delays including. If you decide to give in to your wanderlust, I think you will be doing yourself a big favor if you keep an OPEN MIND with regards to possibilities. If you're a stickler to things, traveling might just trigger the beast in you. Patience can be tested. The best advice I could give is to NOT schedule flights so close to each other. That way, you have room should there be flight delays. People can go ballistic if a delay occur and they are expected to be jumping on to a connecting flight.

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

As with any other country, flight delays can happen in India as well. It really is something that you should take into consideration when planning your trips. Maybe allot at least an hour or two allowance for each air travel you take. It's better this way than to be crunched for time during check in time. Of course, if the delay is due to the airline itself, there's not much you can do.

From what I've read though, if the flight is delayed for at least four hours and more, that's when you get compensation. Maybe some food and drinks. However, if it's just four hours and less, then you won't get any compensation at all. It's a good idea to just eat something around the airport.

Luckily, we didn't experience much delays during our trip. I think that the shorter the destination, the less delays you'd experience.

I hope this helps!

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

It only happens for me when there is a storm incoming or something. I have never once had a delay when it comes to incompetence of the airport, they were only due to technical difficulties, weather, or security threats, and this isn't just in India, it's everywhere. Any respectable airport wouldn't have as much delays when it comes to their work, as it would lead to a bad image when it is shown to other travelers.

10. Linda Nyabundi

Linda Nyabundi New Member

I've been to India once and didn't encounter any flight delays. My friends have also been to India and they didn't have any flight delays. However, when travelling anywhere not just in India, it is important to factor in the possibility of flight delays. Delays could be spontaneous due to weather, technical problems and security threats among others. Even though there could be delays that are unexpected, a good airport should be able to control the situation as quick as possible and reassure passengers. So yes, it is important that you leave some room in your itinerary for flight delays

11. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

Just like in most airports in the world, flight delays also happen in Indian airports. You never know when it's going to happen. With that said, it's advisable that you always book your flights in advance and go to the airport at least two hours before your flight. If there's a delay, there'll be more time for you to mull over your options.

12. gamer2x

gamer2x New Member

Normally if you are landing in Delhi, in the months of December and January there are at least 25% chances that your flight would be delayed due to fog.
    If you are coming in through Mumbai into India, then august and September are the problematic months as due to rains, flights are often diverted.

It varies from airport to airport.

Chennai and Bangalore airports, mostly have no obstructions due to weather all the year around.